Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering

Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering [Paid] 2.5.4

No permission to buy (£25.00)
Stuart Wright updated Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering with a new update entry:

New feature - custom action button to expire prefix

Version 2.4.1 brings a new admin-customisable action button to expire prefixes.
It's a prefix-specific button that lives at the top of the thread, usable by people who have permission to edit the thread.
Admin can set the button text and confirmation message text.
When pressed by the user, it performs the expiry actions set by admin.
In our case on AVForums, we use it for users to more easily change the prefix in their classified advert threads. So the button is set to change the prefix...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Server error log
  • LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:906

Stack trace​

#0 src/XF/Template/MacroState.php(60): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(799): XF\Template\MacroState->getAvailableVars(Object(SV\AdvancedBbCodesPack\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/forum_new_posts.php(108): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1654): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(SV\AdvancedBbCodesPack\XF\Template\Templater), Array, NULL)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('forum_new_posts', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(50): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(460): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XF:Forum\\NewPos...', 'public:forum_ne...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(442): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(402): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(60): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2487): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(524): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(1) "/"
["referrer"] => string(21) "https://domain.com/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Server error log
  • LogicException: Macro public:whats_new_posts :: filter_bar() error: Macro argument threadPrefixes is required and no value was provided
  • src/XF/Template/Templater.php:906

Stack trace​

#0 src/XF/Template/MacroState.php(60): XF\Template\Templater->mergeMacroArguments(Array, Array, Array)
#1 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(799): XF\Template\MacroState->getAvailableVars(Object(SV\AdvancedBbCodesPack\XF\Template\Templater), Array, Array)
#2 internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s1/public/forum_new_posts.php(108): XF\Template\Templater->callMacro('whats_new_posts', 'filter_bar', Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Template/Templater.php(1654): XF\Template\Templater->{closure}(Object(SV\AdvancedBbCodesPack\XF\Template\Templater), Array, NULL)
#4 src/XF/Template/Template.php(24): XF\Template\Templater->renderTemplate('forum_new_posts', Array)
#5 src/XF/Mvc/Renderer/Html.php(50): XF\Template\Template->render()
#6 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(460): XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html->renderView('XF:Forum\\NewPos...', 'public:forum_ne...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(442): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderView(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#8 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(402): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->renderReply(Object(XF\Mvc\Renderer\Html), Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View))
#9 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(60): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render(Object(XF\Mvc\Reply\View), 'html')
#10 src/XF/App.php(2487): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#11 src/XF.php(524): XF\App->run()
#12 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#13 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(1) "/"
["referrer"] => string(21) "https://domain.com/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}
This is caused by this setting set to New posts.
IMG_8263.webp

There's a change to an existing macro somewhere that adds a parameter which is required, but when the default page setting is set to "New posts" that required parameter doesn't have a value, hence the error.
Hardy anyone has this set to “New posts”, so it has never cropped up before.
We’ll get a fix for it soon.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 212747.webp
I still haven't been able to use this add-on since the day of purchase. Please assist in resolving this issue promptly.

Sincere thanks.

Does this addon have user criteria based on creating a thread with specific prefix/updating it or expiring prefixes?

Last edited:
Does this addon have user criteria based on creating a thread with specific prefix/updating it or expiring prefixes?
I don't know what you mean. Can you fire me over a private conversation over at M2N.co.uk, please, and give an example to help explain?

Hi Stuart,

This is a great add-on but what would really be useful for my purposes would be if I could use prefix filter menus in forum view (thread list) in addition to forum list. I don't suppose there's any way I can do this using the add-on?

Thanks!

Hi Stuart,

This is a great add-on but what would really be useful for my purposes would be if I could use prefix filter menus in forum view (thread list) in addition to forum list. I don't suppose there's any way I can do this using the add-on?

Thanks!
Not as it stands. If it were to be added, it would add clutter to the forum view which already shows the prefix information at the top.

Not as it stands. If it were to be added, it would add clutter to the forum view which already shows the prefix information at the top.

Thanks - and agreed. However, I'm using 50+ prefixes (one for each state plus a few), so having each prefix listed individually along the top gets way too cluttered.

The best solution I've found has been AndyB's prefix filter, which allows for a filter button that triggers a drop-down list of all prefixes (see "select location/topic" button on my site at www.permittingtalk.com). The only slight downside of this filter is it requires two clicks to navigate to the prefixes drop-down but I've been very pleased just to have the drop-down as an option. But prefix essentials probably serves the 99% use case...I realize my need to filter a large number of prefixes probably isn't a super common issue. Nonetheless, would be great if you could consider providing a drop-down option like this, which alternatively replaces the individually listed prefixes, in a future update. Thanks!

Thanks - and agreed. However, I'm using 50+ prefixes (one for each state plus a few), so having each prefix listed individually along the top gets way too cluttered.

The best solution I've found has been AndyB's prefix filter, which allows for a filter button that triggers a drop-down list of all prefixes (see "select location/topic" button on my site at www.permittingtalk.com). The only slight downside of this filter is it requires two clicks to navigate to the prefixes drop-down but I've been very pleased just to have the drop-down as an option. But prefix essentials probably serves the 99% use case...I realize my need to filter a large number of prefixes probably isn't a super common issue. Nonetheless, would be great if you could consider providing a drop-down option like this, which alternatively replaces the individually listed prefixes, in a future update. Thanks!
The Forum List element displays the prefixes in drop downs grouped by prefix category and does not show the count for each prefix. It has the disadvantage of needing two clicks to filter by the prefix. It's better for catering for a lot of prefixes.

The Forum View element displays all the prefixes in a row (or rows if there are many) with the prefix styling for each and also shows the count for each prefix. If you use a lot of prefixes (we don't) then it would look cumbersome.

In both cases, clicking the prefix displays a list of threads in the current forum (meaning all the forums in the case of the Forum List element) and only one prefix can be selected at a time.

Perhaps both elements could be combined in to a drop down used on both the forum list and forum view. Each prefix in the drop-down could be styled according to its own styling, which would be better. Grouping the prefixes would mean a much more concise view on the Forum View. Except if you have lots of prefixes, the drop-down is still going to be cumbersome and require two clicks to filter by prefix.

Perhaps both elements could be combined in to a drop down used on both the forum list and forum view. Each prefix in the drop-down could be styled according to its own styling, which would be better. Grouping the prefixes would mean a much more concise view on the Forum View. Except if you have lots of prefixes, the drop-down is still going to be cumbersome and require two clicks to filter by prefix.

Thanks, I definitely understand regarding the tradeoffs involved! Adding stylings within the drop down sounds neat, especially if I could set the drop-down background to match the prefix style in each section of the drop-down, i.e., so different categories pop out more as you scroll.

I agree listing prefixes individually along the top is preferable until a certain point where you have so many prefixes that it becomes unreadable. Even still, there are probably some use cases out there for a drop down with a small number of prefixes, like if you were using that real estate along the top for something else and really needed a concise option.

Bottom line is I think it'd be great to have the drop-down option in forum view, even though it'd just be for the limited number of forums using a large number of prefixes. Like I mentioned it's 100% necessary in my case, so glad there was a solution out there.

Right now, with AndyB's (check out my drop down on permittingtalk.com), it's really a three-click operation to select a prefix. Is there really no way to get that down to two?

But thanks for considering the suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for any updates, in case you decide to act on any of this.

Please try:

Add a new forum. Add permissions that users cant see threads of others.
Result: I can see only my own threads, but I can see the normal calculation for prefixes ...

To ignore prefixes is a nice feature, but can I switch this off?
It is funny if you have some prefixes, but if you have 598 this feature makes no sense to me.
Please add a switch to allow or now allow this feature for usergroups and/or for all.

Stuart Wright updated Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering with a new update entry:

Feature update to allow grouping of prefixes on forum view

• Rename option "Show Prefix group above the thread list for filtering" to "Show prefixes above the thread list for filtering"
  • Add option "Group prefixes above the thread list for filtering"
  • When "Show Prefix group above the node list for filtering" is enabled, show prefix counts in the various drop downs
  • Display the prefixes in the drop-down with their given style

Users with lots of prefixes can choose to group prefixes above the thread list for filtering, which...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi Stuart,

Thanks!
This update facilitates what you need.

Funny, funny! Today I found out, that I have some new functions for prefixes line moving for example. And I have it without installing snogs prefix actions. Wow!

I have researched by phrase to template, from template to add-on. And now I am here, i would like to know if this is correct:

forum A
forum B

prefix1 => move to forum B
prefix2 => move to forum A

Now I add prefixes to some threads in forum A and B with the hope that threads will move like I know it from snog's prefix action add-on, but nothing happens.

Maybe I don't understand the way it works?

BTW:
On one side, I like it to have more functions. On the other side we have now more functions in an add-on, I don't need.
Maybe this should/could be an add-on for the add-on, instead being a part of it?

Top Bottom