Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering

Prefix Essentials featuring auto expiring prefixes and prefix filtering [Paid] 2.5.4

No permission to buy (£25.00)
I assume the prefix list doesn't show up on question forum view? Is that the intended functionality?
Ah, gotcha. I don't know whether it appears on question type (or any type other than general discussion) forums views as I only have general discussion forums at AVForums. I'm assuming it doesn't appear? If not I can ask @Xon (who does all the coding work) whether it's a significant job to add it. I don't expect it is.

Last edited:
Good morning. I've found a slight issue.

If I don't have the prefix group filtering above the node list, there is still residual code left on the node list.

Screenshot_4.webp

The code in "prefixess_forumlist_prefixes" should be wrapped by a conditional stating if the option is selected.

Thank you.

This add-on works on my main forum but I can't seem to get the prefixes to show at the top of my whats-new/posts page

There doesn't appear to be a setting in the options for it either. Is it possible?

Why though? Why doesn't it just work the way it's supposed to already?
It’s been designed to show the prefixes at the top of forums. What’s-new is not a forum, therefore it doesn’t appear there. You have to code it to have the functionality for each different page type.
It’s not a bad idea, but it’s never been designed to be in What’s new, yet.

Add a forum, add some threads, allow users to see the forum, but not threads from others.
Now you can see some prefixes and the numbers of threads with these prefixes.
Should I be like that?

Now these users can see ... prefixes and numbers, but no threads.
If I cant see the threads, then I should not know the number of threads or the prefixes used, right?

Now these users can see ... prefixes and numbers, but no threads.
If I cant see the threads, then I should not know the number of threads or the prefixes used, right?
So you've set permissions so that people can only see their own threads and you want the prefix display to reflect that?

I just want to know if it works like you have planned it. :)
I wondered that people get infos they should not have.

I can't see your average user ever correlating those things, or caring to try, except maybe in some extreme use cases....

I just want to know if it works like you have planned it. :)
I wondered that people get infos they should not have.
I have no idea whether it respects the 'view threads by others' permission.
If it's your experience that it doesn't, then I guess that nails it.
The thing is that it might well be a nightmare to tailor the prefix display to respect that permission.
Need to check with @Xon who codes Prefix Essentials for me.

Stuart Wright updated Prefix Essentials with a new update entry:

New feature - expiring prefixes

Prefixes can be set to expire and on expiry, several actions can be applied to the thread.
  • Delete thread (remove from public view, not permanent delete)
  • Lock thread
  • Move thread to a pre-defined, admin selected forum
  • Assign a different, admin selected prefix (including none - i.e. remove the prefix)

Read the rest of this update entry...

The reason behind this update is that we post bargains on AVForums using the Bargain prefix. The problem with that is that we often know when bargains expire, but have no way to automatically update or remove the threads.
So we now have expiring prefixes. The key way for us to achieve this is have the user enter an expiry date time, after which, the Bargin prefix changes to Bargain Expired.
However, we have also added significant additional functionality with broad scope, so this can serve several purposes.
It's actually a pretty powerful new feature.

@Stuart Wright

Could you please elaborate on the additional features that you would like to have in this add-on?

For instance, let's say you create a Prefix containing the names of all countries and their respective cities.

If you select a city such as Houston, the enhanced add-on will automatically append the corresponding country and state, in this case, the USA and Texas, to the Prefix.

Furthermore, the Prefix functionality will be able to automatically update or modify itself based on specific conditions.

For instance, if a topic remains inactive for over 30 days, the add-on can automatically alter the Prefix to "closed" or "resolved".

Could you please elaborate on the additional features that you would like to have in this add-on?
I’m not looking at adding any new features to the addon.
If you select a city such as Houston, the enhanced add-on will automatically append the corresponding country and state, in this case, the USA and Texas, to the Prefix.
You may be thinking of having multiple prefixes (I’m not sure and you’d need to be more specific). But if so, I don’t think prefixes should be used in that way. Tags are better for this functionality instead of multiple prefixes. Either way, it’s not something I would have put in to prefix essentials.
For instance, if a topic remains inactive for over 30 days, the add-on can automatically alter the Prefix to "closed" or "resolved".
This is exactly what the latest version of prefix essentials does.

Top Bottom