1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-Sales Questions

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by kingjavo, May 19, 2015.

1. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Hi,

I'm trying to start a new forum site like many others here. I just have a couple of questions prior to purchasing your software.

1. What License package is recommended? I'm building a new site similar to operationsports.com and virtualsportsnetwork.com

2. Can I customize the site locally and then transport it to a hosted environment to save money on hosting while I'm developing? I know that answer is most likely, yes, but wanted to be sure since I'm mostly a .NET guy and not PHP.

Thanks,

Javier

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is only a single license type with optional official add-ons.

Yes, that's how I did it.
    Not due to hosting costs, just because it was easier to work on it locally.

3. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

I'm running Windows 7 on my PC. Any recommendations on how to get a Dev environment setup?

Also, are the "Official" add-ons you mention able to be purchased later on after I buy the initial license?

4. Brogan

I created a guide for that.
    You need to be a licensed customer to access it though.

Yes, add-ons can be purchased at any time.

5. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Same with the Brand footer removal, right? I can add that later as well of course.

6. Brogan

7. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Ok, I just purchased the software... care to pass on that document?? :)

8. Brogan

9. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

So wait a sec...

This doesn't work with your latest version of xenForo? If not, then do you recommend downloading an older version and then upgrading at some point? I'm a little confused.

10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

It'll work with 1.4.

11. Brogan

It works with any version.

12. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Okay, cool... the page only had up to a certain version.

13. Brogan

I've just updated it.
    It's a moot point though as it's mainly a guide related to xampp and localhost, rather than XF specifically.

14. rv65

rv65 Active Member

15. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Yeah, I've seen these addons but I'm still new to xenForo and PHP (more where the code is located depending on what I'm trying to accomplish) and one of the sites I really like in terms of what they have for features is www.se7ensins.com
    I'd change the style a bit, but I do like the icons they use for trophies and ranking people. Pretty good model IMHO.
    I'm seeing if Audentio can help customize my site and I'm getting a logo made as well. Also, need to decide on a hosting solution that makes sense for the present and future.

Feel free to share your opinion on how I could accomplish all of this and with whom.

16. Brogan

You are better off posting specific questions in the relevant customer forums now.
    Most people won't respond to pre-sales threads.

Amaury likes this.
  17. kingjavo

kingjavo Member

Will do! Can you tell me the best thread to discuss this topic in so I don't pollute even more? :)

18. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Find the add-ons you're talking about in the RM and post in their threads.

19. aduuuh

aduuuh New Member

Its better then phpBB ?

20. Brogan