Pre-sales PhpBB3 to Xenforo

ThinkingFox

Hi

I'm looking to replace a thriving PhpBB3 board with XenForo but I'm concerned about the migration of data - the PhpBB board has topics and replies going back to 2008 (10,000 members, 8,000 topics, 350,000 replies) and I need to ensure that we're able to migrate this safely.

has anyone done a similar sized migration? are there any issues I need to consider? if I wanted to outsource the migration is there anyone around that would be interested in doing this?

thanks

TF

It certainly shouldn’t be too difficult but the key to it is testing the import in the first instance. Saves there being any surprises.

At this time, it’s suggested to install XF 1.5 and use the PhpBb importer there and then once the import is complete, upgrade to XF 2.0. The PhpBB importer for XF2 isn’t ready yet.

oh that's a good point - hadn't spotted that we couldn't go straight to 2.0. Is the same licence used for both or do we need different licences?

Also: we have a staging environment where we can test it - anyone know whether we would need multiple licences to cover staging and production environments?

On a side note, can I just say I'm impressed with how quickly this thread is being responded to by the XF community. That always bodes well for longevity of a product.

Check on a unmodified default style with addons disabled and see if you get the same result.

From the Pre Sales FAQ

5. How many installations can I make with a single license?
Each license permits you to install the software once. However, you may create a single additional test installation for testing purposes only. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to you and your website staff

Top Bottom