Pre-made avatar gallery

DM426

I was surprised to discover that XenForo lacks a system allowing members to pick from pre-made avatars.

Disabling avatars altogether would kill most forums. And allowing all registered users to upload custom images presents a whole new system of challenges and problems. Allowing members to pick from a set of pre-made avatars is a pretty standard forum feature.

There is a new add-on which does some of this, but this basic feature would be a welcome part of core.

Upvote 7
Avatars are used to quickly/visually distinguish members, this wouldn't work if the same avatar is used by multiple users.
We do have approx. 70 forums, many of them still running vBulletin 4 which does have such a feature, and none of them has it enable.
I do not see much usefulness in such a feature.

I’ve run tons of forums and always found it useful.

For some reason I’ve never been able to fully understand, a lot of users tend to have problems figuring out how to upload an avatar. Even when you explain it ten times, it’s still an annoyingly common issue.

Second, some members insist on uploading inappropriate images, creating more work for the moderators. What i’ve done in the past is provide lots of avatars for members to choose from, but limit custom avatars to paying subscribers. XenForo takes that option away from me.

With the round avatars, I’ve already discovered for myself that members are having difficulty selecting and uploading images that don’t end up looking like crap when cropped. Which in turn uglies up the whole forum.

Having categories of high quality, pre-made avatars availble makes life a lot simpler for everyone and is a useful option for admins.

Last edited:
With the round avatars, I’ve already discovered for myself that members are having difficulty selecting and uploading images that don’t end up looking like crap when cropped. Which in turn uglies up the whole forum.

I agree with this, which is why I'm not keen on the circles being default.

This would be an amazing upgrade.I'm running a forum for a community and I don't want the users to add avatars by their own as it'd be difficult to manage them, but I'd like to have some pre-made avatars so they can pick one out of them and use it.I've been looking for a solution, the add-on given in the main topic is actually okey but I don't know if there's an option to disable people from adding a different avatar out of our pre-made ones.

This would be an amazing upgrade.I'm running a forum for a community and I don't want the users to add avatars by their own as it'd be difficult to manage them, but I'd like to have some pre-made avatars so they can pick one out of them and use it.I've been looking for a solution, the add-on given in the main topic is actually okey but I don't know if there's an option to disable people from adding a different avatar out of our pre-made ones.

If you support the suggestion you need to like the first post in the thread, that is how the developers gauge interest in suggestions.

Top Bottom