Not planned Powered by Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Just a simple idea to tidy up avertisements from mods, but still credit the authors.

Im sure youve all seen forums on VB.

All times are GMT. The time now is 8PM.
Powered by Vbulletin Version
Copyright 2010 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Serch engine optimisation by VBSEO
Theme By XYZ
Extra Tabs by ABC
Raiting system by TYU

On top of that some authors also include credits on the mod pages and elsewhere.

I think we all agree it gets messy. So why not have a "powered by page"

Any mod installed gets a link in to that page by default just by title from importing it, and then if people want to see what addons you use, they can just go look for themselfs.

Simples.

Upvote 16
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
All I can say is good luck in getting most developers or designers to agree to this; and agreement would be needed, otherwise you'd be pirating ;).

As stated, we don't have to use those mods and we should stay away from developers demanding that. There's a reason open source frameworks are so popular. But it is true, where ever this system is implemented it would invalidate most EULA and then you would be forced not to use those developers/mods. That, IMO, is a GOOD thing and will change attitudes towards removing this requirement we developers find out other have dropped it.

As stated, we don't have to use those mods and we should stay away from developers demanding that. There's a reason open source frameworks are so popular. But it is true, where ever this system is implemented it would invalidate most EULA and then you would be forced not to use those developers/mods. That, IMO, is a GOOD thing and will change attitudes towards removing this requirement we developers find out other have dropped it.
Open source has never meant branding free, and most solutions still require you to retain the copyright.

And you're already capable of not having to use mods or use anything from certain developers; you just choose not to. There is no force requiring you to use something, other then the possibility that there are no other solutions available.

Developers and designers deserve credit for the work they've done, and while I agree it will sometimes get tedious, if you have an issue with it, you can always -not- use their work.

All I can say is good luck in getting most developers or designers to agree to this; and agreement would be needed, otherwise you'd be pirating ;).

No, if developers won't agree to this we just simply don't use their addon and find someone else who have made the same or a similar addon. Let's put it like this, with a powered by page, it would be in the developers best interest to agree to putting their credits there.

Like I said before, no one really looks down there anyway unless they're interested in forum software. The only thing it does is cluttering things up and extending the page with useless stuff. You might aswell replace all credits with "Lorem Ipsum" fillers.

Developers and designers deserve credit for the work they've done, and while I agree it will sometimes get tedious, if you have an issue with it, you can always -not- use their work.

Who said anything about that they don't deserve credits? You must have missed the whole idea behind this suggestion. The idea is to centralize the credits to all the developers of the addons you have installed on your forum. They *will* get credited. In a dedicated place aswell that is designed for JUST that - credits.

No, if developers won't agree to this we just simply don't use their addon and find someone else who have made the same or a similar addon. Let's put it like this, with a powered by page, it would be in the developers best interest to agree to putting their credits there.

Like I said before, no one really looks down there anyway unless they're interested in forum software. The only thing it does is cluttering things up and extending the page with useless stuff. You might aswell replace all credits with "Lorem Ipsum" fillers.

Which you can already do! Amazing concept that. Free choice is wonderful, and you're already capable of choosing what you use and what you do not use.

I can say now however, I have about 4-5 modifications I'll be creating and possibly releasing (Under XenFans) that are unlikely to be created by other people, or at least not going to be as robust, and thought out. People are free to use what they wish, but I won't be putting my work on a 'powered by page' because that is even less viewable than the footer.

And as for being in the developers best interest... Most often, whether or not you use a modification means very little; I know it means nothing to me, I just release my work to be helpful, and I rather people not take credit for it, ;).
Who said anything about that they don't deserve credits? You must have missed the whole idea behind this suggestion. The idea is to centralize the credits to all the developers of the addons you have installed on your forum. They *will* get credited. In a dedicated place aswell that is designed for JUST that - credits.

Again, try and get all the developers and designers to agree. Not sure how many will agree to it, but I'm sure you'll get at least a few developers and designers... Can't say much for the quality though.

I can say now however, I have about 4-5 modifications I'll be creating and possibly releasing (Under XenFans) that are unlikely to be created by other people, or at least not going to be as robust, and thought out. People are free to use what they wish, but I won't be putting my work on a 'powered by page' because that is even less viewable than the footer.

Consider this.

I charge on average £150 a month to my advertisers for a banner on my site.
I charge £50 a month for a small button.

So if I leave the notice in the footer, where do I send the bill to ;)

Consider this.

So if I leave the notice in the footer, where do I send the bill to ;)
Your choice to use the modification, not forcing you in anyway :).

Your choice to use the modification, not forcing you in anyway :).

Likewise you can choose to use a Powered by page where you can get full credit for your work (and more) that people will see if they want to find out what peoples sites run on. I say and more, because on such a page you could include much more than a link.

Question 2,
What if someone made a mod that used jQuery to hide everything in the footer except the Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010 XenForo Ltd text with a slider that showed all the footer text if clicked, but hid it by default?

Which would you prefer?

However, I do not want to use a powered by page :rolleyes:, that successfully makes the credits useless, because people are unlikely going to care enough to click to see what a site runs.

As to your second question, that still hides the credit, and unless someone stumbles across it by accident, will never see the credit in the first place.

In which case, if they don't care enough to see what a site runs, why would they need to see them in the footer either ;)
;) Because developers put in a good 50+ hours doing their modifications (For larger ones), and deserve something back if they release for free ;)?

I mean, its not like most of the people who use modifications support developers in any other way most of the time, a credit for their work is honestly not that much.

;) Because developers put in a good 50+ hours doing their modifications (For larger ones), and deserve something back if they release for free ;)?

A powered by page, a whole page dedicated to the developers :D

I mean, its not like most of the people who use modifications support developers in any other way most of the time, a credit for their work is honestly not that much.

It goes round in circles with your arguement.

1) Devs want credit
2) Devs don't want a powered by page because users wont be bothered to click it to see.
3) If users wouldn't be bothered to click it to see, why would they be as bothered to read the footer, so why put it in?
4) Back to 1

It might not seem like it but I support the creaters of these addons (yes i have even donated some through vb.org), I just think after X years there has to be a more aesthetic way of giving them credit.

A powered by page in my mind is much better, because then even developers who don't ask for their credits in the footer can have their work listed on the site, can have some achnowledgement.

For example. If I went to a XF site, and spotted 4 mods I want to use on my own.
Only 1 of those mods has credits in the footer.
How do I then find out those remaining 3 mods? Bother the admin with a PM, hope he replies? Trawl through hundreds / thousands of mods on the releases section?

Or go to the powered by page, see that the board in question runs these mods, with links directly to the release pages.

Consider this.

Good point - I say all developers should start charging a minimum £50 for their addons rather than releasing them free with credits in the footer.

Slavik said:
I just think after X years there has to be a more aesthetic way of giving them credit.
Pay for the right to remove branding. That's pretty aesthetic ...

Good point - I say all developers should start charging a minimum £50 for their addons rather than releasing them free with credits in the footer.

Pay for the right to remove branding. That's pretty aesthetic ...

No problem, but then again, how many devs would offer support, upgrade contracts, licence agreements to go with those purchases?

If a mod is worth buying, I buy it. Vbseo for example. But the dev then needs to be able to back up the support side of things, which, I imagine most don't want to have the headache of doing. Which then takes us back to the point of how do we give them credit in a useful way, as stated above, he thinks users wouldn't be bothered to click the powered by page, in which case why would they be bothered with the footer either?

The only people who would be interested would be those looking to add these mods to their own board, and in doing so they should be in a centralised location where all the mods on a site are listed for easy access.

A powered by page, a whole page dedicated to the developers :D

It goes round in circles with your arguement.

1) Devs want credit
2) Devs don't want a powered by page because users wont be bothered to click it to see.
3) If users wouldn't be bothered to click it to see, why would they be as bothered to read the footer, so why put it in?
4) Back to 1

It might not seem like it but I support the creaters of these addons (yes i have even donated some through vb.org), I just think after X years there has to be a more aesthetic way of giving them credit.

A powered by page in my mind is much better, because then even developers who don't ask for their credits in the footer can have their work listed on the site, can have some achnowledgement.

For example. If I went to a XF site, and spotted 4 mods I want to use on my own.
Only 1 of those mods has credits in the footer.
How do I then find out those remaining 3 mods? Bother the admin with a PM, hope he replies? Trawl through hundreds / thousands of mods on the releases section?

Or go to the powered by page, see that the board in question runs these mods, with links directly to the release pages.
Luckily for you, I don't care what your opinion is at this point.

You can use the mod, you cannot use the mod, you can even remove copyrights (You just get to deal with whatever consequence people choose to go with for your piracy).

Quite honestly, you make me hesitant to release my work here, because I feel my time that was spent on it is devalued by your opinion. Say I make $75 a hour, and I spend 50-hours working on a modification to release for free; instead of the $3750 value (In time), I ask for a credit, but you feel the need to complain?

Your concept of action is fairly rude as well; Treat any developer like they're a leper, and devalue their effort in releasing something all because they're unwilling to be coerced, nay blackmailed, into doing things your way.

I leave this thread in disgust :rolleyes:.

Isn't it pretty simple...
Follow the developer terms and copyright or bugger off and find yourself something else to use.
How ungrateful can you be when something is free? If you don't like it most developers offers a paid option to remove they're copyright.
Thread like this are just made to piss developer right off and make them think twice about releasing mods for free.

I leave this thread in disgust :rolleyes:.

Just stumbled on this thread and also leaving it disappointed :(

I shall use my perogative as owner of this site to have the last word.

Do you, or do you not want developers to release free add-ons? If you are happy to pay, then maybe you can negotiate terms of how their credit or copyright is displayed, but I doubt it. If you are getting the code for free, then you damned well better display their credit, out of gratitude if nothing else. And if that means a link in your footer, then that's absolutely legitimate. Want to get rid of that link? Negotiate a respectful sum with the developer, or use a different add-on. No alternative add-on available? Then you're going to display that link in your footer, or your site is no better than a pirate.

Do I have objections to a 'powered by' page? No, not at all, it's a great idea. Is this an excuse to talk about how terrible it is that some developers want their credits displayed in your site footer? Absolutely not, and I am horrified by some of the attitudes described in this thread. I'd prefer not to have my code running on your site. It is perfectly valid for a developer to demand a credit in your site footer for software that you run that helps to run your site. Don't like it? Fine. Go elsewhere, but you have no right to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom