1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posting a *link* to YouTube

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ForestForTrees, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ForestForTrees

ForestForTrees Well-Known Member

I love the way that Xenforo handles media site embeds. Is there a way that I can include a link to a media site such as YouTube. For example, perhaps I want to have a video start at a specific position or with a specific resolution. Or perhaps I just want people to read one of the comments. Is there a clever way to make this possible?

Thanks in advance.
    EQnoble likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Just testing...

Hmm that didn't work...

YouTube Link

EDIT: Ah yes, that works.

Tactic is to write some text, highlight it, then use the insert link button on the editor and paste a YouTube link. This will change the text into a link to the YouTube video and it won't embed the video.
    Jake Bunce likes this.
  3. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

thank you...you just gave me an idea :)
  4. ForestForTrees

Thanks for the help, Chris. That works well.

I tried posting the URL as the display text on the link, but that didn't work. That's fine, though.

What I mean by the second sentence is that with a display text of "Random words" I get:
    Random words

However, when I try to set the display text equal to the URL, the Media Site matcher kicks in and I get the video itself:

Sometimes it is nice to have the URL display as the display text. I promise 10 internets to anyone who can make a link to a media site where the link URL is the display text.
  5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Jake Bunce likes this.
  6. ForestForTrees

Looks great. Thanks for your help.

10 internets to you!
    Chris D likes this.