Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level [Deleted]

Or are you simply wanting to double up. Like + Rate? If that is the case, I'm not sure that is even something I'd like to see. Seems like overkill.

Or are you simply wanting to double up. Like + Rate? If that is the case, I'm not sure that is even something I'd like to see. Seems like overkill.

I tried everything but there is no change anything. E.g. works both system but there is interesting a problem.

First disable Like system add-on option. Now you will se Post Ratings "UNDO Rating" link in all posts after change/edit anywhere.

When click a "XenForo Core Like" button, it's ok but refresh the page, will hide again and UNDO links will show again... Of course you can try it :)

Hi Luke,

Just finished upgrading Xenforo to the latest version and this add-on was one I was updating as well. I am getting the following error:

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Model_Post::getPagedPostsPR() - library/Dark/PostRating/Deferred/PostCache.php:18
Generated By: Denis Dyack, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(53) "http://que-ee.com/forums/admin.php?tools/run-deferred"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["tools/run-deferred"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(5) {
    ["execute"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(31) "/forums/admin.php?tools/rebuild"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

I tried deleting and re-installing but it says it cannot read xml file when I try to re-install.

Help :).

Thanks,
Denis

Hi Luke,

Just finished upgrading Xenforo to the latest version and this add-on was one I was updating as well. I am getting the following error:

Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Model_Post::getPagedPostsPR() - library/Dark/PostRating/Deferred/PostCache.php:18
Generated By: Denis Dyack, A moment ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(53) "http://que-ee.com/forums/admin.php?tools/run-deferred"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["tools/run-deferred"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(5) {
    ["execute"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(31) "/forums/admin.php?tools/rebuild"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

I tried deleting and re-installing but it says it cannot read xml file when I try to re-install.

Help :).

Thanks,
Denis

Normally that error indicates the post ratings PHP files have not been uploaded correctly, as that particular function was only added recently

If you are stuck, PM me admin CP and FTP details and I will fix it for you

@Lone Wolf, that is correct but I think you can't understand totally what I said but no problem. You said "it would be too long, too confusing" etc. but not at all ratings. Other ratings are okay they should be the same. I said, only for removed or disabled Post Rating Like system. Not others. Everything will be the same. Only will possible to use XenForo Like System.

@Sheldon why the both system is not possible? If there is an option for that, we would use the both system. People can like a message or can rating a message. XenForo Like System always should be active. We still cannot this add-on on us forums. Because after install, XenForo like system disabled. Now you will said "no disable, it will just replace with Post Rating System". We don't want Post Rating "LIKE" system. We want to use only other ratings (dislike, helpful, etc.) after install add-on.

Hopefully you can understand my hesitation to add the feature while still maintaining a high standard of consistency:

• What would happen to the like rating? Should it just be silently disabled?
  • Where would like totals be displayed? Should they be included in positive rating totals still? It would devalue the number somewhat if users can give 2 positive ratings per post
  • If likes are not included in all positive rating totals as they are currently, there are bound to be some cases where it still does make sense to include them - will require going through the addon with a fine tooth comb and carefully considering the user experience for each area.
  • There are a lot of features that factor in positive ratings such as trophy integration, most positive ratings, etc. - should those include likes still?
  • On a technical level, a large amount of work has been done to enforce the equivalent of a unique key at the application level across both the likes and post ratings tables. I actually did not realise you wanted to be able to like and rate posts simultaneously, and ripping out the protection against that very action will not be simple.
  • What about the people who want the legacy like UI and post ratings together, but do NOT want to be able to like and rate posts simultaneously? That requires a completely different implementation involving interop between XF and Post Ratings javascript, such that interaction with one UI updates the other. (This is actually a slightly easier thing to implement, and is what I assumed you wanted originally, as it's what the old (broken) option did.)

Hopefully you can understand my hesitation to add the feature while still maintaining a high standard of consistency:
Luke, you may remember my query back when I purchased. I was expecting all positive ratings to equal a like in Xenforo. You said it was an old setting that you abandoned and you amended the resource take the reference away.

After using this I'd like to say that the tagline of this is add-on is a little misleading "taking likes to the next level"

Consider the
clear.png
standard list of icons:

View attachment 60049

Almost all are positive ratings. But if you use anything other than "like", it doesn't record a like against the thread. If you have a thread with 50 informative votes. It will have 0 likes on the forum. So if you use widgets for things like, most liked thread or you sort your thread by thread_likes, the add-on is actually detrimental to your forum.

So not really sure how this addon takes likes to the next level. A like is a like.

A simple fix would for all positive votes to equal a like. It would simplify the sql as well (looking at the union queries used) and take the "Standard Like System" to a new level.

I'm not saying this a is a bad mod. It just seems that it's gone off track over time as you used to be able to keep likes and use the custom ones also. So you could like a thread and mark it as informative.

clear.png

I've been wanting that since.

Its just makes so much more sense for all positive to equal a like in legacy system.

Plus
  • Queries would be much simpler, no need for messy unions or whatever you have to to to add likes to the rest of the ratings.
  • Disabling would mean that all positive ratings become a like in legacy making it much easier to turn off.
  • Totals of likes in other custom addons (widgets as an example) would then show total positives rather than just the likes.
  • Sort of thread likes would be be on all positive threads. On the image below I'd want the wizard thread to show higher as its been rated positive 11 times
upload_2015-2-27_22-58-0.webp
My answers your questions
  • What would happen to the like rating?
    • It'd run behind rating, positive rating = like. Rule would be only ratings of the same level (positive/neutral/negative) would be allowed per user.
  • Where would like totals be displayed? Should they be included in positive rating totals still?
    • like total is the total positive ratings, you could then have a table of of ratings by type that make up the total.
  • If likes are not included in all positive rating totals as they are currently, there are bound to be some cases where it still does make sense to include them - will require going through the addon with a fine tooth comb and carefully considering the user experience for each area.
    • You can include like as a rating, which would be a positive rating , which would then add a like to the like system.
  • There are a lot of features that factor in positive ratings such as trophy integration, most positive ratings, etc. - should those include likes still?
    • Like system is better integrated with this change as it enhances the like process within the legacy system rather than forgetting about all other positive ratings.
  • On a technical level, a large amount of work has been done to enforce the equivalent of a unique key at the application level across both the likes and post ratings tables. I actually did not realise you wanted to be able to like and rate posts simultaneously, and ripping out the protection against that very action will not be simple.
    • I'm not a fan of actually doing both. But the like system isn't disabled with this change, it just has more selections (all positive ratings)
  • What about the people who want the legacy like UI and post ratings together, but do NOT want to be able to like and rate posts simultaneously? That requires a completely different implementation involving interop between XF and Post Ratings javascript, such that interaction with one UI updates the other. (This is actually a slightly easier thing to implement, and is what I assumed you wanted originally, as it's what the old (broken) option did.)
    • This!

Last edited:
You said it was an old setting that you abandoned and you amended the resource take the reference away.

Its just makes so much more sense for all positive to equal a like in legacy system.
Frankly, I'd prefer it that way also.

Luke, you may remember my query back when I purchased. I was expecting all positive ratings to equal a like in Xenforo. You said it was an old setting that you abandoned and you amended the resource take the reference away.

Plus
  • Queries would be much simpler, no need for messy unions or whatever you have to to to add likes to the rest of the ratings.
  • Disabling would mean that all positive ratings become a like in legacy making it much easier to turn off.
  • Totals of likes in other custom addons (widgets as an example) would then show total positives rather than just the likes.
  • Sort of thread likes would be be on all positive threads. I'd want the wizard thread to show higher as its been rated positive 11 times
View attachment 99736
My answers your questions
  • What would happen to the like rating?
    • It'd run behind rating, positive rating = like. Rule would be only ratings of the same level (positive/neutral/negative) would be allowed per user.
  • Where would like totals be displayed? Should they be included in positive rating totals still?
    • like total is the total positive ratings, you could then have a table of of ratings by type that make up the total.
    • You can include like as a rating, which would be a positive rating , which would then add a like to the like system.
    • Like system is better integrated with this change as it enhances the like process within the legacy system rather than forgetting about all other positive ratings.
    • I'm not a fan of actually doing both. But the like system isn't disabled with this change, it just has more selections (all positive ratings)
    • This!

This is yet another different combination of functionality

So far I've had all of these suggested:

- The old broken option that used to exist: Exactly as it is now (exclusivity between likes and positive ratings), but an option for likes to be made and displayed via the XF UI rather than via a 'like rating'
- Eagle's suggestion: The ability for a single user to both like and rate (or just one of the two) a given post, with likes made and displayed via the XF UI
- Your suggestion: As it is now but with all positive ratings adding to the XF like system

I really would like to do what you've suggested (it makes far more sense than awkwardly tacking on the old like UI), but to be honest it's such a large change that it makes sense to wait for XF 2.0 since I'll be rewriting most of the addon anyway

I'm running Xf 1.4.4. When I upgrade Post ratings to 1.7.1 I get this error:

Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Model_Post::getPagedPostsPR() in /public_html/community/library/Dark/PostRating/Deferred/PostCache.php on line 18

What's wrong?

I'm running Xf 1.4.4. When I upgrade Post ratings to 1.7.1 I get this error:

Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method XenForo_Model_Post::getPagedPostsPR() in /public_html/community/library/Dark/PostRating/Deferred/PostCache.php on line 18

What's wrong?
The new PHP files have not been uploaded correctly

Line 18 in Postcache.php according to the picture:

I have uploaded the source files multiple times now.

Ensure that line 6 of library/Dark/PostRating/Model/Post.php contains:

Code:
public function getPagedPostsPR($page, $perPage, array $fetchOptions = array())

And also that you are not using any aggressive opcode caching

Line 6 is according to what you wrote. As far as I know I'm not using anything like opcode caching. What other options do I have?

Top Bottom