Implemented Post Edit History

Erik

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Upvote 92
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm not expecting a fight to take up disk space, I'm expecting that logging every change made in every single post would eat up disk space. But I'm not a programmer or a coder, so if that's just my own ignorance and it doesn't actually, then fine. :)
I don't think it could really hold much more than a regular post does, just stored in another table. vBulletin has a revision history feature in it, and if it was problematic I doubt it would've been made a default feature. ;)

A little sarcasm there, Darfuria? :p

If this is one of those things that can be turned off, then fine. But I'm not willing to pay a lot more for disk space just because a couple of board members are having a spitting match or something. And anyway, they can still use the image trick. If they think of it.

I was genuinely being sincere!

For us, having the edit post history is really important. I don't want to discuss all the reasons why it is important to us, just that it is.

And so long as it isn't going to eat up disk space or slow down the board - and we can turn it off - I don't care one way or the other.
A post revision history wouldn't eat up your database space, provided only changes to the post are logged to the db.

Also it wouldn't slow down any day-to-day functioning of the forum since the revision history would need to be accessed only when you either edit a post or explicitly request to view a particular post's edit log. :)

A post revision history wouldn't eat up your database space, provided only changes to the post are logged to the db.

Also it wouldn't slow down any day-to-day functioning of the forum since the revision history would need to be accessed only when you either edit a post or explicitly request to view a particular post's edit log. :)

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation. :)

It'd be awesome if there was a more innovative way of storing them, such as only storing the added letters or whatever.

I do want a post edit history though, you could just keep the last X revisions that's ACP-set.

I think this should go in big features :p As a classified moderator on the forum I come from this feature is essential. And since bringing it in and the members knowing about it, I hardly ever have to deal with members who will edit a post to steal an item. Without it we simply did not allow posts to be edited in the classified section. How inconvenient for members

It'd be awesome if there was a more innovative way of storing them, such as only storing the added letters or whatever.

I do want a post edit history though, you could just keep the last X revisions that's ACP-set.
Disk space is cheap. Just store each revision of the post in its entirety. (And provide admin tools to prune edit history when it's no longer needed)

Wrong. Wikipedia stores every revision of every article indefinitely. For people in cheap shared hosting situations, you could have a feature to prune old post edit histories when they are no longer needed though.
And not just for them. It's always good to save space and keep everything as small as possible. I would prune them if they were older than 1 year, you're not going to need those anymore anyway.

This would be awesome! Only viewable to moderators and could show inline edits of posts. It'd beat the pants off of VB's Moderator Log

I'll be using xenforo posts as content, with articles written inside them (context: we're going to use xenforo for the new site instead of WordPress). It will be very helpful to keep revisions of posts so I can revert to an earlier version if necessary.
I'd be satisfied if only the last x number of revisions were stored, and/or revisions older than y days are purged.

Guys there is a facility in vBulletin at the moment that we can't do without.
It's an editing reason box for posts with an additional log of changes.
(I have a feeling this may not be a small change, in which case mods please move this thread to the other suggestions forum, thanks).

There are lots of reasons why we need this. One is to see when people bidding on goods in our classifieds section have cheated by upping their offer via an edit (thereby giving them an advantage by having the appearance of making the first preferential offer).
Also if a member makes an inappropriate post but then edits it, we can see what they originally posted. Sometimes we need to punish people because their first reply gets sent out to thread subscribers and offensive messages are not undone by a post edit.
Two good reasons for this functionality.

I have attached four screen captures to illustrate.
The first shows the additional text box for an edit reason.

The second shows the note of an edit shown in a post.

The third shows what you see when you click the above link. It's a list of the edits with the ability to view the history of selected ones.

and lastly when you select and display the history, you get to see the edit details.

Upon trying xenFor beta, my moderators have identified this as functionality we really can't do without.

If you agree, please like this post.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    108.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    119.4 KB · Views: 17
There is no way currently to see when a post has been reported, who reported it, who dealt with it and any associated comments.
May I suggest that this functionality be added together with the edit history suggestion?
Thanks.
Folks please Like this post if you agree we need this functionality.

Top Bottom