1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Post Edit History

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Erik, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Mick West, Gish, mistypants and 89 others like this.
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Hi, I think it can be useful for administrative and moderating purposes for users to provide a reason as to why a post was edited. The reason doesn't have to be made public, only available to certain usergroups.

3. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

I find it also a nice way to communicate certain things subtly without "invading" the post.

4. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

I'm curious how mod / admin tools are implemented anyway.

5. Floris

Floris Guest

There are some 'admin' tools at the top in the bar, where the login dropdown is .. look for Kier's iPhone screenshot :)

6. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

This and wiki-like edit history would be very useful.

7. Floris

Floris Guest

We have no idea how this looks to the staff, but it's possible that mods can see this, but not users.

8. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Well, that would still make noticing and reporting malicious edits hard.

9. majdi

majdi Well-Known Member

this is an important feature, it should be built into the script itself, it can't be a mod.

10. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

He was saying mods as in moderators, not mods as in modifications. :)

11. majdi

majdi Well-Known Member

you are right, my bad
    i didn't read the whole post, i only saw the word mod and responded to it, bad reflex :p

12. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been discussed before--"by" is too short to search for, leaving me with just "edited," which gets a whole bunch of unrelated results. :p

Anyway, I'd like to suggest having an "edited by" notice (similar to vB) so it's easy to tell when posts are edited (and by whom). I like being able to tell when staff edits posts, and there currently doesn't seem to be a way that that's noted on edited posts.

Thanks for reading. :)

13. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

If the info is being logged im sure it will be easy to implement :)

14. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

+1 for this :)

15. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Well-Known Member

This certainly gets my vote. Any content edits should leave a visible audit trail in my view especially if it's by admin.

16. Spenser

Spenser Active Member

This should be configurable to prevent the message from being shown if a special group edits.

Dodgeboard likes this.
  17. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

It's really nice not having the "Edited By" message being posted here. I my forum I have disabled also. I understand some like the feature, but I sure don't.

Dodgeboard and anotheralias like this.
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Can you as the admin see that information?

I have found on some forums people type all sorts of information in for the 'reason for edit', it almost becomes a secondary communications channel.

19. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

obviously this feature might be handled by usergroups permissions :)

20. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

No I've completely disabled the Edited By function on my forum. I don't want member wasting their time explaining why they edited their post.