Implemented Post Edit History

Erik

This may have been posted already (I can't believe it hasn't), but I tried searching and I couldn't find anything, so here goes...

Currently, if you edit a post, there's no indication that the post was edited. I thought it just updated the post date/time, but I just tested it and it doesn't appear to do anything at all (post date/time stays as original).

It would be really nice if there was a "edited by [name] x minutes ago..." in addition to the original posting date, à la vBulletin and others.

I feel that this is a crucial feature to avoid confusing or malicious/nefarious edits. :)

Upvote 92
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hi, I think it can be useful for administrative and moderating purposes for users to provide a reason as to why a post was edited. The reason doesn't have to be made public, only available to certain usergroups.

There are some 'admin' tools at the top in the bar, where the login dropdown is .. look for Kier's iPhone screenshot :)

Hi, I think it can be useful for administrative and moderating purposes for users to provide a reason as to why a post was edited. The reason doesn't have to be made public, only available to certain usergroups.

This and wiki-like edit history would be very useful.

We have no idea how this looks to the staff, but it's possible that mods can see this, but not users.

Apologies if this has been discussed before--"by" is too short to search for, leaving me with just "edited," which gets a whole bunch of unrelated results. :P

Anyway, I'd like to suggest having an "edited by" notice (similar to vB) so it's easy to tell when posts are edited (and by whom). I like being able to tell when staff edits posts, and there currently doesn't seem to be a way that that's noted on edited posts.

Thanks for reading. :)

This certainly gets my vote. Any content edits should leave a visible audit trail in my view especially if it's by admin.

It's really nice not having the "Edited By" message being posted here. I my forum I have disabled also. I understand some like the feature, but I sure don't.
Can you as the admin see that information?

I have found on some forums people type all sorts of information in for the 'reason for edit', it almost becomes a secondary communications channel.

It's really nice not having the "Edited By" message being posted here. I my forum I have disabled also. I understand some like the feature, but I sure don't.
obviously this feature might be handled by usergroups permissions :)

Can you as the admin see that information?

I have found on some forums people type all sorts of information in for the 'reason for edit', it almost becomes a secondary communications channel.

No I've completely disabled the Edited By function on my forum. I don't want member wasting their time explaining why they edited their post.

Top Bottom