Add-on Post destruction rollback function

Alpha1

It happens to every website. A member with a lot of posts gets angry and destroys all his posts by editing out content or replacing the content with an obscene image. This leaves many threads destroyed. In some cases even hundreds of posts.

On XenForo the only solution is to delete all threads, unless you have a post edit history addon installed. In such case you can manually edit each post, find the last version of the post and then copy-paste the original content back in. If it concerns many posts then it becomes a monks task.

It would be very beneficial to have a function that allows a super moderator to roll back all destroyed posts to their original state. The supermoderator would need the following functions:
  1. set username
  2. set time range (roll back all posts between date & time X and date & time Y.
  3. roll back button
This would save a lot of time and effort.

I think there is no need of an addon, because there are a simple option to resolve this:
Users -> User Groups -> Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes)

Robbo's post edit history contains full versioning so would be an ideal starting point for this maybe?

It happens to every website. A member with a lot of posts gets angry and destroys all his posts by editing out content or replacing the content with an obscene image. This leaves many threads destroyed. In some cases even hundreds of posts.

I've had it happen on more than one occasion. And that's why there's a 5 minute time limit on editing. Deleting? Fugetaboutit!

I think there is no need of an addon, because there are a simple option to resolve this:
Users -> User Groups -> Time limit on editing/deleting own posts (minutes)
That's not a great option if your site relies on good information.
If your site is mere chit chat and you don't care about content or it's accuracy then your suggestion works great.
I'm pretty sure Google likes up to date content.
Restricting the ability to update a post seems like a really bad plan for certain types of sites that like good accurate information.

+1 Thread versioning.
+1 for Rollback to previous thread versions.

I've had it happen on more than one occasion. And that's why there's a 5 minute time limit on editing. Deleting? Fugetaboutit!

Me too. I give a 30 min grace period and NO deletion options. I don't agree with Digital Doctor at all that it's not a great idea if your site relies on good information. My members are happy to update a thread with another post in the future, or ask a mod to edit a post if it's substantially wrong. I don't see how an indefinite edit option or not determines quality of content and certainly it does not outweigh - IMO - the damage caused by people going AWOL and removing content. But as they say, YMMV and each community is different.

On my site, we have a very large number of threads where the opening post is an article, compendium, link list, etc. Such threads need to be updated. 99% of my members are perfectly able to edit their posts to improve these. Disallowing edits would do my site damage and would decrease the informational value of my site.

I do not allow new members to edit their posts, and they heavily complain about this already.
I do not think such restriction is optimal. A roll back feature would.

You could probably ask about this for 1.2 since edit history is now going to be in the core?

Top Bottom