Possible XF3 in the not so distant future?

TheRageIsOn

Just a question about a possible XF3.

Is there a version V3 ( Xenforo 3 ) planned or in the pipeline ?

Because i plan on migrating my sites to xenforo in the near future.

Tata ...

I have an original member who writes in a style that is deliberately obtuse. He has been writing posts that way since our predecessor board. He has been warned at time about dragging it into threads where it is not welcome (imagine opening a thread of the old "five word sentence using the last word of the sentence before you" game and finding a three paragraph rant apparently about Trump, though it's always hard to tell the exact subject with him). He's had a couple short bans, mostly due to me actually deciphering his spew and realizing he had lobbed a racist grenade at another member's spouse, but has enough supporters that getting rid of him permanently would be more trouble than it is worth, or so the mods seem to think. I tried to get him permabanned years ago but finally gave up.

It sounds like a permaban for this troublesome racist is in order.

Are you the owner of that forum? If so, you have the final say, so just get rid of him and weather the fallout.

It sounds like a permaban for this troublesome racist is in order.

Are you the owner of that forum? If so, you have the final say, so just get rid of him and weather the fallout.
I'm not, strictly speaking. We treat it as a community-owned forum so I try to treat lightly, though I have taken more control over some areas of late, mostly because no one was showing any interest otherwise. I wish we had gone the route of the original admin team owning it. Though that would have had problems, too, since one of us (the one who originally installed Xenforo) left in a huff a while ago.

This member only dropped the one racist remark that I've seen and, to be honest, it was so obscure that I think I only picked up on it because it could be applied to my wife as well. The original ban, while brief, did seem to result in no further serious offences though I'll be the first to confess that I do not read everything he posts anymore. I have better uses for my time and brain cells.

We treat it as a community-owned forum so I try to treat lightly, though I have taken more control over some areas of late, mostly because no one was showing any interest otherwise.
If not already, immediately ban (temp or permanent) the user for the racism, hopefully it's against your site rules? If not a permanent ban, then it would be an ideal case to deploy XF's discouraged user functionality? 😉 https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/users/#discouraging-users

I have an original member who writes in a style that is deliberately obtuse. He has been writing posts that way since our predecessor board. He has been warned at time about dragging it into threads where it is not welcome (imagine opening a thread of the old "five word sentence using the last word of the sentence before you" game and finding a three paragraph rant apparently about Trump, though it's always hard to tell the exact subject with him). He's had a couple short bans, mostly due to me actually deciphering his spew and realizing he had lobbed a racist grenade at another member's spouse, but has enough supporters that getting rid of him permanently would be more trouble than it is worth, or so the mods seem to think. I tried to get him permabanned years ago but finally gave up.
We had one from the early days who made sense back in 1998 but, as the years went on, his posts became more obtuse and off-the-wall. He was never doing anything wrong but towards the end, most of his posts made no sense whatsoever. Unfortunately he was a local and, when I'd let it slip I had changed jobs, the dude was semi-stalking me, showing up at my workplace a few times trying to waste time with idle chit-chat. Thankfully that ended in a hurry, since he could never get ahold of me. Finally, we granted him the courtesy of the full experience of "Discouraged" in XenForo. After a year of struggling and (obviously) making fewer posts, he made a post about the forum loading strangely, then finally stopped posting and after about four years of lurking, hasn't visited us in three years now.

Our one not-so-problematic member now is just annoying. Obsessed with obituaries. He littered the place with so many R.I.P. threads that we thought we were at legacy.com. That and he replies off the cuff in the middle of a discussion: "I bought that at Walmart back in 2008!" One of the staff finally gave him a custom title of "Forum Undertaker." I don't think he ever noticed. 🤣

I'm not, strictly speaking. We treat it as a community-owned forum so I try to treat lightly, though I have taken more control over some areas of late, mostly because no one was showing any interest otherwise. I wish we had gone the route of the original admin team owning it. Though that would have had problems, too, since one of us (the one who originally installed Xenforo) left in a huff a while ago.

This member only dropped the one racist remark that I've seen and, to be honest, it was so obscure that I think I only picked up on it because it could be applied to my wife as well. The original ban, while brief, did seem to result in no further serious offences though I'll be the first to confess that I do not read everything he posts anymore. I have better uses for my time and brain cells.
I'd be reviewing your rules and possibly putting the guy into a usergroup that makes him read and react only for a matter of weeks to stop him trolling and/or being a racist person.

If not already, immediately ban (temp or permanent) the user for the racism, hopefully it's against your site rules? If not a permanent ban, then it would be an ideal case to deploy XF's discouraged user functionality? 😉 https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/users/#discouraging-users
It is and that's why he got a temporary ban, but the mods of the day decided that it was a first offence and he may have been unaware of the racist connotation (no, I didn't buy it but read on). Basically, back at the beginning another admin pushed for the approach that mods mod and admins admin and tends to get cranky if I mod rather than coaxing the mods into doing it. There was another member that I would have kicked pretty early in the game who ended being around for years because the mods just don't (or didn't) like permabanning.

Anyhow, the racist incident happened years ago (the board turns 8 soon) so I'm not going to take any action based on it now. I do check occasionally, esp. in heated threads, to see what he is saying. He's also had a very respected member of community who knows him IRL vouch for him.

Top Bottom