Possible PHP issue

Charlie G

We are currently running XF 2.2.12 and all was fine until a couple of days ago when my server upgraded PHP 8.2.9-1.1.1 to 8.2.9-1.2.1

The last couple of days we were experiencing very slow server response times and at times no response at all.

After some investigation we realised the above had occurred so we downgraded PHP to 8.2.9-1.1.1 again which resolved the issue.
Later that day as we had forgot to disable auto updates PHP once again upgraded to 8.2.9-1.2.1 which reintroduced the problem.

Downgrading to 8.2.9-.1.1.1 again resolved the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is anyone running XF 2.2.12 with PHP 8.2.9-1.2.1 with no issues.

We are currently running XF 2.2.12 and all was fine until a couple of days ago when my server upgraded PHP 8.2.9-1.1.1 to 8.2.9-1.2.1

The last couple of days we were experiencing very slow server response times and at times no response at all.

After some investigation we realised the above had occurred so we downgraded PHP to 8.2.9-1.1.1 again which resolved the issue.
Later that day as we had forgot to disable auto updates PHP once again upgraded to 8.2.9-1.2.1 which reintroduced the problem.

Downgrading to 8.2.9-.1.1.1 again resolved the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is anyone running XF 2.2.12 with PHP 8.2.9-1.2.1 with no issues.
You should consider running your site on php 8.1, but I don't think so XF is yet completely compatible with 8.2 version of PHP, including many add-ons available.

I had never though faced situation like this, as we are running on PHP 8.1

The other issues like lag/slow response can ofc be fixed and improved by tuning your server, monitoring the slow query log and with various other techniques.

Let me know if you need any services for that. I can definitely help :)

Last edited:
I would stick with 8.1 now as well. I think they have mentioned some things are starting to work with 8.2 but it's a "use at your own risk" at this moment. I think 8.0 is the official supported version at the moment, even though most are running 8.1.

I have a similar scenario with 8.2.9-1; let me try downgrading back to 8.1.

Edit: Indeed, it is way more stable on 8.1.

Last edited:
We went back to 8.1 and the problem got worse.

Currently running 8.2.9-1.1.1 and it seems okay, still suffer the occasional slow responses though.

We went back to 8.1 and the problem got worse.

Currently running 8.2.9-1.1.1 and it seems okay, still suffer the occasional slow responses though.
What repository are you using?
I'm using ondrej/php on Ubuntu 22.04.

Is the XenForo error log being spammed be errors? This could be causing unexpected slowdowns due to blocking SQL queries

It turns out we were getting 100's of simultaneous connections from bytedance crawlers, up to 1,000 connections at once. Re-starting the Apache service was fixing this temporarily but only for a short while.

My sys admin reconfigured something here to allow more connections to prevent the slow responses occurring again and we have blocked the IP addresses used by the bytedance crawlers.

We have PHP 8.2.9 running which is fine, we have been running this for a few months now.

Top Bottom