1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible migration from vB4.2 to Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Stuart Tunstall, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Stuart Tunstall

Stuart Tunstall New Member

Having used vBulletin since i started my enthusiast website and forum, I am looking at the possibility of changing to Xenforo but as you can imagine I have a few questions before I take the "plunge"

1. Is it easy to convert?

2. Can I set up another subsite as Xenforo, get everything set up and the site designed and then make it like?

3. If so how would I do this?

4. Would it transfer all my forum sections and member groups?

5. I use Photopost gallery, would images be migrated across?

6. I use the thank you hack, would this still work?

7. What about permissions?

8. Will it use a new database so my existing site can stay open then do a final move.

Sorry for all the questions [​IMG]

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is a built in importer which is straightforward to use.
    The pre-sales FAQ lists what is imported: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/pre-sales-faq.4951/

There's a general guide for importing which should help to reduce the amount of work: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-guidelines.25325/

You would need the Media Gallery add-on to import from the Photopost gallery, for which there is a separate importer.

Permissions should be mapped across but we do recommend that they are checked afterwards.

XF has Likes built in - the add-on from VB won't work.

Yes, you would require a new database for XF, as well as a separate directory/URL.
  3. Stuart Tunstall

Stuart Tunstall New Member

Thank you for the reply...

My main concern was the gallery but if this can be migrated that could help swing Xenforo for me... I did look at IPB but I think I would lose more..

Am I correct in saying I could say create a url www."my site".co.uk/xenforo/forum, create the site how we want it, then once done, close the vBulletin site and do a final import?

How would I then move the URL to be the live site?

I also use the vBulletin CMS does Xenforo have a similar thing which would also import across?

Sorry for all the questions
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That's how most people do it, yes.

It's a simple matter of moving/renaming the files/directories on the server.

CMS content would not be imported as there is no equivalent in XF.