Migration from vb4 +vbSEO

MrCranky

I'm literally on the cusp of buying the licence for Xenforo, just waiting for a tiny bit more of that adsense £ to roll in.

So my current site is running on some pretty outdated stuff (don't judge)

w2k8 host with vb4 and vbseo enabled.

What would be the best way to move to Xenforo, I want to move to a Linux VPS.

Should I upgrade the site on the current host in situ to XF then migrate to a new host, or setup from fresh and migrate all the data? I have been reading the manuals for XF and XF Importer and have a few questions about the fresh start route.

Is the importer able to read from a remote database? I can open up the current database to the IP of the new host for the move.

As It will be located on a new server, the path's to the attachments wont exist, they are currently in the file system not database. Can I move the attachments folder to a location on the new server and point the migrator at that?

Also URL redirects, currently my install is at the root level, so domain.com/ and with vbSEO enabled, the nodes are accessible via domain.com/friendly-node-name is it possible to retain this? I see the default for XF domain.com/forums/node-name.ID# I have thousands of posts and around 5000 members, so would like to retain as much as possible.

You will need to redirect the vBSEO links (link structure). The first step is to identify which vBSEO link structure you are currently using so you can redirect those to the native vBulletin SEO friendly URLs or the Xenforo SEO friendly URLs.

Which version of vB4 are you running? And what are your vBSEO settings for rewriting links?

vb 4.2.1 and the default vbseo settings I believe:
Current Preset: 001 - Hierarchic .html type URLs with content relevant forums and threads (Default Settings)

-----

Forum:
[forum_title]/

Threads:
[forum_title]/[thread_id]-[thread_title].html

vBSEO is definitely a bit of a nightmare and one problem is there's no one-size-fits-all solution since there were, if I recall, about 5 different options for vBSEO'd URLs.

Check out these resources:

And for managing the redirects in Xenforo:

Your best bet might be to get the URL rewrites working in vBulletin (using .htaccess rewrite rules) and then do the import to Xenforo - but keep that working .htaccess file so you can keep the vBSEO rewrites in the .htaccess probably before any Xenforo rewrites or the Xenforo redirect addon kicks in.

vBSEO is definitely a bit of a nightmare and one problem is there's no one-size-fits-all solution since there were, if I recall, about 5 different options for vBSEO'd URLs.
As vBSEO also allowed to define custom rules there are infinity+1 possible formats.

We've implemented a custom error handler which does allows us to do flexible URL handling via a "Redirection Kernel" and microdrivers (such as for vBSEO) to handle such situations like vBSEO URLs that do not contain an ID.

I have the same issue, and I have set forum re-writes to Default settings in VBseo (no custom settings):

001 - Hierarchic .html type URLs with content relevant forums and threads (Default Settings)

In Advanced settings I see that all rewrites are set to

[forum_title]/[thread_id] xxxxxxxx

Since this is the most basic setup of VBseo - will I face any problems when migrating to Xenforo? I guess what I am asking - does anybody have a guide for me to follow?

Top Bottom