Possible email issue with PHP v5.6.22

RSI

Hi,

Not sure if this is a real bug, but my hosting company changed the default version of PHP on the server to v5.6.22 and when I switch to it my Xenforo v1.5.8 install will no longer send any emails. As soon as I switch back to PHP v5.5.36 it starts working again.

Any ideas? Could there be some incompatibility issue with PHP v5.6.22?

Below is one of the errors and it happens no matter if it is a reply to a conversation, post, etc. It will just no longer send any emails period.

It's always with library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277

Code:
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to me@icloud.com failed (after retry): Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 8:49 AM

#0 /home/me/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://secure110...')
#1 /home/me/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(216): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/me/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/me/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(91): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.99999904633)
#6 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999904633, '')
#7 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999904633, '', false)
#8 /home/me/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /home/me/public_html/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(38) "http://mydomain.com/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(54) "/conversations/add?to=me&title=Op-Amps+for+Everyone"
    ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

Last edited:
This is likely due to configuration on the server rather than a bug.

Specifically, it seems PHP is having a problem with opening a connection with your SMTP server. Your hosting company is likely the best people to consult with about this.

Yeah, it turned out to be on their end. It's loopback anyway so I really didn't even need the SSL settings. localhost works fine with php v5.6.22 now.

Top Bottom