1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Possible bug in Post datawriter...

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Liam W, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this would be classed as a bug or not, but I've spent ages trying to figure out what is causing the error and I finally found it so...

This is the _getForumInfo() method in the post datawriter:

PHP:
    protected function _getForumInfo()
        {
            if (!
    $forum $this->getExtraData(self::DATA_FORUM))
            {

$forum $this->getModelFromCache('XenForo_Model_Forum')->getForumByThreadId($this->get('thread_id'));

$this->setExtraData(self::DATA_FORUM$forum $forum : array());
            }

return 
    $this->getExtraData(self::DATA_FORUM);
        }
    If the forum extra isn't set, it attempts to get it based on the thread id (which may not actually be set yet, if this is called during preSave of a thread insert and this is the first post dw). If this fails, it sets the forum extra to an empty array.

The issue arises in the setExtraData method:

PHP:
    public function setExtraData($name$value)
        {
            if (
    $name == self::DATA_FORUM)
            {
                if (!
    is_array($value))
                {
                    return;
                }

XenForo_DataWriter_Discussion_Thread::setForumCacheItem($value);
            }

return 
    parent::setExtraData($name$value);
        }
    The set method calls the setForumCacheItem method in the Thread datawriter if the input value is an array. That method in turns uses the node_id key from that value, however as the array is empty (as it couldn't get the forum data), this causes a server error.

Unlikely to happen, yet it happened to me and has taken me ages to figure out. I'll need to add a check to one of my addons...

Liam

imthebest likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I think it makes sense to only set the cache if we get a valid response; that will at least prevent an error.

Though I would also note that the usage generally assumes it's being run post save (or at least where a forum is essentially guaranteed to exist).

Liam W and imthebest like this.