Possibility to disable Emojis in certain fields like thread title and username ☠

Thank you Andy, we are truly grateful for you!

Love the addition of capitalizing the first letter in every title as well, one less job for our mods to do daily!
Agreed--our staff is stressed enough! Helps keep thread titles tidy.

Funny, just this afternoon on another forum for the first time, someone posted a thread title using all emoji letters. I don't think they realize that this is going to be unsearchable by thread title...

1607464249186.webp

🤦‍♂️

I may go about it like this, to allow a handful of additional characters:

/^[\x22-\x7e\xbf-\xff]+$

This is exactly why we want to get rid of it. I have not yet converted two forums from 1.5 to 2.2 and honestly, this is the reason why. We want it in in message bodies only--members are asking for that. But we have that small subset of members who will abuse it once they realize they can "emoji all the things." I would attempt to create an add-on to filter it out but have no clue as to how I would do it.
What extra characters does that expression allow? Sorry if that's a simple question, but i really struggle with regex 🙁

What extra characters does that expression allow? Sorry if that's a simple question, but i really struggle with regex 🙁
That expression isn't working for me, but, if I figure it out properly (when I get some time), it will allow some European characters and a few more punctuation marks.

This has been helpful in testing regex:

That expression isn't working for me, but, if I figure it out properly (when I get some time), it will allow some European characters and a few more punctuation marks.

This has been helpful in testing regex:

Thank you Rudy :)

You can set the 'Username match regular expression' option (under 'Username validation') to only permit usernames with alphanumerics and white-space using something like /^[a-z0-9\s]+$/i.
Does this still work? I had a user sign-up with a load of emoji's in it's username and found it to be too noisy so I've followed your suggestion and hoping it works without any issues.

Give it a try with a test user, until you get results you are satisfied with.

I now use this string (copied and pasted from my test forum):

/[^\x00-\xff\x{1f300}-\x{1f9ff}\x{2116}-\x{215e}\x{2600}-\x{27ff}]/u

That also allows the extended European characters while dumping emoji. I may not have tested every iteration of it, but in all the testing I did on this a couple of years ago, it worked. There is no reason @Jeremy P's regex won't work either--it is more limiting but will ensure the cleanest usernames possible.

Top Bottom