1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Portal(sitemap)

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Lexy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

if a set portal like index page, do i must change anything inside sitemap
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You shouldn't have to, no.
  3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I don't understand.

I can't see an option in the sitemap generation to automatically include an index page, there are only Nodes, Threads and Users. So it appears any other pages would need to be added manually in the Extra Sitemap URL box.

At least this is what happens with my sitemap.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The main URL is already included in the sitemap, which is the URL of the portal page.
    Chris D likes this.
  5. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

That's correct. The index page is included automatically in the sitemap, e.g. https://xenforo.com/community is automatically included in the sitemap for this site.

Other than that, you would need to add any other URLs to the Extra Sitemap URL box.
  6. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Thanks, after downloading the sitemap I see that is the case.

I just looked at the available options of nodes, forums and users and assumed only those were included.
  7. BonusParadise

BonusParadise Member

Hello I added my root homepage as extra url in the box and it was not added to the sitemap.

Xenforo is installed on mysite.com/forum/

Are only extra urls like /forum possible ?
  8. Mike

Yes, only URLs within the XenForo install are allowed. (Sitemap XML files can't have URLs in them outside of the directory they're served from.)
    BonusParadise likes this.
  9. BonusParadise

BonusParadise Member

Sorry to bring this up again. When I was on VB with VBSeo, we had a sitemap where it was possible to have our homepage included.
    Any chance the xenforo sitemap will add this option in future?
    I heard it would not be idea to not have my homepage included in sitemap.

How are others handling this?

Thanks in advance
  10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If you use a portal add-on and have XenForo installed in the root, the portal page is the root home page and is therefore included in the sitemap.

That's how it works on my site.
    BonusParadise likes this.
  11. BonusParadise

BonusParadise Member

Thanks for your reply Brogan. Thing is, I do not want to use a portal add-on. I am not a friend of having to many add-ons.

The VBSeo sitemap was coded so that it was possible to add extra urls alhtough even they were not in the root where the forum software was installed.
    Question is, any chance that we can get such a sitemap option from Xenforo?
  12. Mike

It's possible those URLs were simply being ignored as they're specifically not allowed by the sitemap spec: http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html#location

Note that a sitemap doesn't define all the URLs on your site. It just helps search engines find some; they still crawl like normal.
  13. BonusParadise

BonusParadise Member