PM

Cees50

Much of my users are custom to vB.
Many of them have problems with the conversations. IS it possible to have a PM button in the postbit, were they can click to start an conversation?

I saw the add pm to conversation_add. But that isnt correct. Is there an othr way or were can i do this and how ? (no coder)

Morgain

I too felt that PC (Personal Conversations) are quite hidden away. I put a button under the postbit and also a button under the avatar on the profile page. (That addon didnt exist then) I renamed "Start Conversation" to bolded "TALK!" in phrases so the button is tidy.
I also made the link bigger on the Membercard.

tenants

I too think it should be directly under the avatars, I might customise some of my forums
But under the actual avatars on the thread (only 1 click away)

<< Here

Cees50

I know, and still they are sending email that they dont know how to do that :eek: They are searching for the sen a PB button
What are the "problems with the conversations" that they have?

Are they aware that clicking on the username of the poster brings up the member card which has a Start Conversation link?

If you still need it, this should do the trick: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-a-pm-start-conversation-button-to-postbit.1221/
If i do this, its in the wrong place. in the conversation_add i cant find the
Code:
        <!-- slot: message_user_info_text -->
        </h3>
    </xen:hook>
In the message_user_info found the line. But if i put the code there i got an error.
I too felt that PC (Personal Conversations) are quite hidden away. I put a button under the postbit and also a button under the avatar on the profile page. (That addon didnt exist then) I renamed "Start Conversation" to bolded "TALK!" in phrases so the button is tidy.
I also made the link bigger on the Membercard.
How did you do that? ;) Im no coder, but if i can read what to do, i found my way. (using TMS)

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I can make this into an add-on if there is a hook in the right place.

Where do you want the conversation link to appear?

Morgain

Here's what I have on my profile pages under the avatar in the left sidebar.

Template is member_view

Rich (BB code):
<xen:include template="ad_member_view_below_avatar" />
        <xen:hook name="member_view_sidebar_start" params="{xen:array 'user={$user}'}" />
        <div class="section infoBlock">
            <dl class="secondaryContent pairs">
                <xen:hook name="member_view_info_block">
                    <xen:if is="{$canStartConversation}">
                        <dd>
                            <a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">
                                <input type="submit" class="button primary" value="{xen:phrase start_conversation}" />
                            </a>
                        </dd>
                    </xen:if>     
The part in blue is added. My link to start a C is a button.
If you don't want a button do this:

Rich (BB code):
<xen:include template="ad_member_view_below_avatar" />
        <xen:hook name="member_view_sidebar_start" params="{xen:array 'user={$user}'}" />
        <div class="section infoBlock">
            <dl class="secondaryContent pairs">
                <xen:hook name="member_view_info_block">
                    <xen:if is="{$canStartConversation}">
                        <dd>
                            <a href="{xen:link 'conversations/add', '', 'to={$user.username}'}">
                                {xen:phrase start_conversation}"</a>
                        </dd>
                    </xen:if>     
Mysteriously although it says xen:phrase start_conversation searching Phrases on gets me no resultrs! I bet Chris can tell us why.

Neil E.

Interesting topic. I changed the link text. I figured if it was called PM user, it would be more recognizable and not that far away from the post bit.

xenforo84.jpg

Neil E.

That's probably only true for me though since I put the userbit on the right hand side of the forum.