Browser issue pls fix this annoying bug

king8084

this is reproduced on xenforo.com as well 100% of the time

this been reported by many members but my phone is iphone 6s and im using chrome

the bug is when on mobile, and you write a reply...you can jump back to a specific location ever..you can randomly jump to the beginning of a line..but cant jump to specific place in the middle

pls fix

Is your issue with.... scrolling? That's the only thing I can pull away from this. What I recommend is taking a look at other support posts and formatting this post like those. You should, in a detailed but concise manner, describe the issue, define steps on how to reproduce it, and describe the steps you have taken to rectify the issue, if applicable. The more information the better.

The reason I'm recommending this is because upon reading the third line where you describe your issue, I am still unsure where your issue lies. However, by "jump", I can make an educated guess that you mean an issue with scrolling. If that's the case, it would be appreciated if you more thoroughly describe the behaviour of the scrolling on your phone.

Additionally, see if the issue is able to be reproduced inside of Safari.

Post your results here and we can be able to help you a bit more accurately.

Thanks!

((Hope you don't mind me butting in, Xenforo guys!))

What @king8084 means is an editor issue with Chrome on iPhone. I have a similar issue with Firefox on Android where its difficult to get the cursor to go to an exact location in the line of text. It always ends up somewhere else. In Firefox/Android it can take a lot of ticking and dragging the cursor to get it where you want.

A similar and possibly related issue is that ticking to relocate the cursor will sometimes result in text outside the editor being highlighted and the editor therefore not being active.

I have the issue with Chrome on Android as well (Samsung Note 5). I can never get the focus to the part of the word I want. I pretty often just give up and backspace way more than I need to and restart.

Experienced same issue as well. Thanks for reporting King8084. I usually gave up trying to reply on mobile and wait for when i was on a desktop again.

I generally find moving the text cursor in iOS somewhat frustrating and that isn't exclusive to XF, but I can't quite reproduce this on iOS 9.2 in Chrome or Safari.

Do you have any more specific instructions to reproduce it?

I generally find moving the text cursor in iOS somewhat frustrating and that isn't exclusive to XF, but I can't quite reproduce this on iOS 9.2 in Chrome or Safari.

Its as simple as trying to move the cursor with any post, im surprised you can do it

This problem been reported by many members in my forum

Reply to a post with a sentence of 10-12 words. Pretend that the 6th word was misspelled and try to tap at the end of that word as though you planned to backspace it out, without deleting all words between 6-10/12. The cursor position cannot be moved anywhere in the sentence without closing the iOS keyboard (lowest right corner key/button). Only then will tapping at the end of the misspelled word allow a reposition within the sentence. iOS wants to display the select, select all, and paste menu for any cursor reposition attempts. I hope this makes sense. It's been doing this for as long as I can remember.

Reply to a post with a sentence of 10-12 words. Pretend that the....

Testing this on Chrome on my Android Lollipop post. It is working fine so far. I will try Firefox in a second.

I WILL NOTE THOUGH: when hitting reply, it does fill the text box and immediately jumps to Post Reply but I can scroll back up and edit whenever in the box. Edit 2: Firefox buggy. I can't edit anything below here or it just goes back before this edit.
dit: Firefox on Android wants me to type here despite me tapping enter twice for a new paragraph.

It is a redactor issue , i've been dealing with exact same thing on our IPB redactor version :)

I seem to have some good news, though not an immediate fix.
Reply to a post with a sentence of 10-12 words. Pretend that the 6th word was misspelled and try to tap at the end of that word as though you planned to backspace it out, without deleting all words between 6-10/12. The cursor position cannot be moved anywhere in the sentence without closing the iOS keyboard (lowest right corner key/button). Only then will tapping at the end of the misspelled word allow a reposition within the sentence. iOS wants to display the select, select all, and paste menu for any cursor reposition attempts. I hope this makes sense. It's been doing this for as long as I can remember.

The issue here seems to only affect Chrome on iOS (though I wouldn't be surprised if there are other quirks in other browsers on other platforms) and only seems to affect a hand full of rich text editors (I was able to reproduce it in TinyMCE but not in CKEditor or Redactor II). I'm using Chrome 47.x on my iPhone but I've switched back to using Chrome 48.x (beta) on my iPhone via the TestFlight app. This seems to have solved the problem.

This indicates a browser issue that should be resolved in Chrome 48 when a stable release hits the Apple App Store.

Similarly, I can never reply to a post / quote a post and then enter a line break. Somehow the cursor will not go to a next line. I always give up on quoting posts in Firefux on Android.

That's a FF for Android bug and why the RTE should now be disabled in it (there is a previous bug report about this). If you're still seeing the RTE on XF.com, it should be reported as a separate bug.

Discovered today what the key difference will be between Chrome 47 and 48 on iOS.

Chrome 48 will be the first version which supports WKWebKitView instead of UIWebKitView.

This should effectively mean that Chrome iOS should now have the same performance improvements as recent versions of Safari. Probably the same bugs, though, but this isn't one of them :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom