Please Unlock Active/Ongoing Threads [RM]

feldon30

When the Resource Manager was announced, I got the impression, based on what we saw at vB.org (not saying it's a role model by any stretch), that the comments/discussion would appear UNDER the published Resource. For this reason, it was explained that the original Resources forum would archived, all those old threads locked, and people would be free to recreate them in the Resource Manager.

Now the Resource Manager is here, and it seems that the comments/discussion are completely disparate from the Resource, with absolutely no connection or integration between a Resource and the discussion about it. I understand this may be a design limitation or choice, and I bet it will be a popular addon, but the justification for locking hundreds of useful threads, some of which were in the middle of trying to find answers, seems wrong to me based on how RM is implemented.

There are a lot of great mods out there, and some of them are created by folks who are great programmers, but not necessarily the best at providing clear instructions or tech support. That may not be a big deal, until you are talking about crucial "if it doesn't work, I can't use XF" things like the vBulletin 4 importer which is unofficial, unsupported, has shaky-at-best instructions, and yep, its main support thread got locked.

Is it possible we can get some of these threads unlocked and moved here?

I think it'd be a good idea to merge. Or allow/encourage the developer to post an archived help thread link.

There are a lot of great mods out there, and some of them are created by folks who are great programmers, but not necessarily the best at providing clear instructions or tech support. That may not be a big deal, until you are talking about crucial "if it doesn't work, I can't use XF" things like the vBulletin 4 importer which is unofficial, unsupported, has shaky-at-best instructions, and yep, its main support thread got locked.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-importer-to-xenforo-1-1.23674/

That thread isn't locked?

Is it possible we can get some of these threads unlocked and moved here?
Authors are always free to request that their threads be merged once things have been re-posted in the RM.

Is there any reason that vBulletin 4 importing isn't officially supported, Mike? Only thing I can think of is that they keep changing it so supporting such an importer would be a pain.

Authors are always free to request that their threads be merged once things have been re-posted in the RM.

That's great Mike but I get the impression this is not widely known.
Are all developers getting an invitation to do this in the course of setting up an RM page?

I believe that some developers requested that their old threads be closed so they can start new on the resource manager, but it seems a bit confusing. I'd encourage developers to link back to the old support thread if they don't wish to merge.

This isn't a matter for individuals to do something if they can remember and get round to it.
It should be a required part of setting up an RM page.

Question (REQUIRED): Is there a previous version of this Resource Y/N?
If Y
Enter the URL of the previous support thread here.

Question: Do you want this thread Merged with the new support thread? Y/N
Do you want a link to appear to the previous support thread? Y/N
(One or both of these to be ticked)

Otherwise we as users are not getting a fair or accurate portrait of the Resource - which should be a core priority of the system.
We are also being seriously demotivated from taking the trouble to post helpful support, tips etc. Why bother if quite soon under a new system all this work will be put away ina cupboard?
That in turn will push a lot more support work on the developers which is very undesirable.

This affects the fundamental nature of forum community and mutual help on which such communities as XF relies to attract new buyers. If users efforts are not respected they will not make so much effort to support.

There is also nothing to stop authors from copying and pasting content from the old thread to the new thread, if they want to include instructions, etc.

There is nothing special about the auto-created RM threads, they're just threads like any other.

However, I would venture the actual entry in the RM is the best place for that content, as it is much easier to find and isn't broken up by hundreds of posts from different members.

As an example, see how easy it is to locate the updates for this resource: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.90/updates

Now try and find the last update in the old thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenporta-portal.7586/

Sure I agree with you Brogan about updates. It's great they are sep[arated out.

But then there's loads of useful tips and fixes and creative ideas on the old thread.

Leaving the individual dev to transfer the posts without making this a definite part of opening a new RM page over the next 6 months is not serving the users well.

How would you like it for example if there was a big reorganisation so all your existing support posts were relegated to a cupboard? You're them told that you can - if you can be bothered - go and find them and merge them into a new system. But it's up to you and if you can't face the complexity they'll be lost ih archives.

There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Taking the portal thread above for example, it's over 200 pages long and the majority of it seems to be the same few questions asked over and over and over...making the entire thread almost useless to anyone looking for pertinent information.

In this instance, starting afresh is probably the best option.

There are pros and cons to both approaches.
Taking the portal thread above for example, it's over 200 pages long and the majority of it seems to be the same few questions asked over and over and over...making the entire thread almost useless to anyone looking for pertinent information.
In this instance, starting afresh is probably the best option.

Yes there are pros and cons. But junking a lot of valuable material is not right. The developer or somewone else will have to repeat it - and don't discount how angry and demotivated people feel if their work is yanked away.

I agree that thread as an example is full of junk. But if the developer (or one of her/ his mods helping him) could go through it selecting the useful stuff to preseve by Merging - this would be the best of both worlds.
This would make the RM much stronger, and far more accurate and helpful instead of it being weakened as it is now by inadequate transitioning.

//// But then there's loads of useful tips and fixes and creative ideas on the old thread. ///

A great moment for the developer to update the release with bug fixes, create a FAQ and re-publish it.
Cleaning up. Rather than people having to go through 17 pages of half-tips and half-fixes.

All this is on the dev and for them to provide proper support and information. Not XenForo to merge a heap of posts.

Top Bottom