Please review my planned computer build

Andrew

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to build a computer for some time. I bought Battlefield 3 the other day and it is an amazing game, but plays like crud on my laptop. So I figure its time to start building a PC that is gonna be able to handle all these "next-gen" games I like to play. So I have assembled a PC on NewEgg and if you have the time, please review the parts.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131803
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130590
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231504
PWR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014

The build will be similar in concept to this picture:
3953551809_f1b87533b5.jpg

If you have any suggestions or just want to voice your opinion please do.

Keep in mind I am trying to build a computer that I can add on as I need to. I also want to be able to use nVidia 3D vision technology for some added fun for movies and games. It will cost about 3k before the entire computer is finished. I can purchase one 500$ part per check bi monthly. So it may take me about 4 months to get everything (including monitor and other equipment.

Thanks for reading, and please let me know what you think about this project.

Thanks,
Andrew

Did you just search for the most expensive stuff and add it to the list? Everything here is twice as expensive as you should be paying with pretty much no benefit at all.

Also, its a BAD idea to buy computer parts one by one. You can buy a part now for $300, but the time you can actually use it, it may cost only half that.

All the parts in that list, I have been looking at for a few weeks. I didn't make this list up today, if that is what you are thinking. I am looking for high performance so I can run the new awesome games at the highest of graphics and audio settings. I am a complete noob when it comes to picking out parts. So I applied the saying, you get what you pay for. So yes, naturally I did search for more expensive parts. I figured it was like buying hand/work tools. If you buy cheap work tools, ya they will last for awhile. But then they break and you have to buy another. Buying tools that offer life-time guarantee are going to be the tools I will buy.

That being said, its not realistic to think that a computer will last a "life-time." But what I would like to aim at, is a gaming computer that will last for a long time. If I can get the same gaming power as the parts I have listed for a cheaper price and still be able to run games in 3d at high settings (requires 2x-3x gfx cards, processing the left eye on one card and the right eye on the second card).

My next goal is to buy a motherboard that I can add to as I need it. The computer case, well I'm keeping that one as I like it and its awesome for water cooling (with a little modding). http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=81698

So if someone smarter than me in this area, please assemble a parts list that can do these things, like the high 3d graphic settings and expandability with fast cpu and I will be very very very happy.

Hope this helps.

But what I would like to aim at, is a gaming computer that will last for a long time.
Not possible !!! That's a losing strategy.
You buy gaming computers for what your gaming needs are for the next 3 months.
A $2000 gaming PC is worth $1000 in 6 months - and it's getting slow.
A gaming $2000 gaming PC is worth $400 in 18 months.

Match your PC with your gaming needs TODAY.
Don't spend $2000 every two years, spend $1000 every year.
Same money, but you'll have a great PC the majority of the time, not an Awesome PC for 6 months, a great PC for 6 months, and a lame PC for 1 year.

Buy for your needs today.

Okay Doctor, what is a winning strategy?

there is none when it comes to gaming pcs.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme > downgrade to the rapage formula, big saving and you will most likely never use the eatra priced features of the extreme

A 1200 watt psu is overkill, a solid 800-1000 will do you just fine

Ram is fine, though 16gb will probably be more than enough for gaming, but if you want it for load times, get 64gb instead and create a ramdisk. 32gb is kinda.. whats the point.

or extreme systems, that used to be my stomping ground back in the day of phase change and cascade overclocking.

I would stay away from the CPU. If you are just using it as a gaming PC and do not need the extra cores for things such as video rendering / 3d modelling it will be a waste of money. I would pick up a 2600k with an asus maximus iv extreme mobo.

32 gb of ram is absolute overkill unless you specifically need that much. 8 gb will be fine for gaming. If you really want you can do 16gb.

A 1200w psu is also absolute overkill especially if you are only running a single GPU. I only have an 850w and I could still SLI/crossfire if I wanted to and have power to spare.

The GPU is good. I have the same one and it will run everything @ ultra in 1920x1080. However I use 2560x1600 and it gets about 30fps in bf3 @ ultra and with FPS drops it becomes unplayable so I have to settle for medium. However the 7xxx series from AMD is out and I would check out the 7970 if I were you as that would be the card I would buy now.

As per a monitor if you are willing to spend a lot of cash and want 2560x1600 I would recommend the Dell U3011. I own one and it is absolutely gorgeous however it will set you back a fair bit so wait for a sale.

Also, its a BAD idea to buy computer parts one by one. You can buy a part now for $300, but the time you can actually use it, it may cost only half that.

What? It does not take years to ship something like it does to come out with another product.

So from all the comments, it is suggested that I find a new motherboard and cpu combo (and ram). Any suggestions?

I'll keep the case and the graphics cards. I'll downgrade from 1200 watt to 1000 watt.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!!!! :D

Thank you for the suggestions. I do like both of those and I know they will be great.

Watch this video. Start at 7:05 and stop at 8:12. This explains the importance of SLI for 3d gaming. Which is one of the biggest reasons I want to build the computer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The case is huge, so I have a lot of room to fill. A bigger motherboard will fit easily. Just watch first 14 seconds to see how big it is :p
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That case will give me plenty of room to work with for a long time. :) Its big which means I can store all the water cooling components inside the case. Which is awesome so I don't have to have an external radiator.

• Case - Your case is a personal choice, so spending that is up to you
  • Video Card - I would NOT spend that much on a GTX580, AMD's next line of cards just came out. Grab a 7900 series card and enjoy the higher performance.
  • Power Supply - seems way overkill, though I do like corsair power supplies. Maybe a lower watt model.
  • Memory - If you are just going to play games, 32GB is way overkill. 16 is too much also, and even with 8 you have plenty of growing room. Unless you plan on making a ramdisk for some games for better load times, then you should just settle for 8GB of memory, or at the most 16.
  • Motherboard/CPU - This combo is incredibly expensive for pretty much no performance increase in gaming. You can do fine currently with a 2500k and a P67 motherboard. Those together can run you $300 total. Also be aware that Ivy Bridge processors are coming out soon which should bump up performance a bit while not increasing price by that much. They are due in april.
edit: I forgot to ask, what resolution monitor do you plan on running?

Okay this is Version 4 of the parts list I have been working on. The price has come down each time I make a revision to the hardware I am going to purchase. To see the first and most expensive version, read the first post lol.

Version 4 parts list:
The price for the first parts list was $2,674. The cost of the gaming PC now in this list is $1,374 (without hdd and cd/dvd drive). Also the price "$1,374" includes 2 sli capable graphics cards.

[i can only use nVidia gfx cards to use nVidia 3d vision, which is something i want (3d)]

Please review these parts for consistency and price range. Thank you for all the comments and guidance, yall have saved me more than $1,000 on parts with your knowledge.

Top Bottom