APC Installed! Please review my configuration file

That's the problem with APC. It works for some, but not for other. I have Apache by the way; I don't know if it makes any difference.

You have my sympathy. ;)
nginx/php5-fpm here, and that could very likely be a part of it.
Now it's off to the races - my check just hit the bank so time to go buy some add-ons!

I'm fine with XCache, but I still have some seg faults on my Apache error log that I can't really debug. I'm hoping it would go away the moment I migrate from vB to XF.

Problem is most folks use older APC 3.1.9 with PHP 5.3/5.4. I have no issues with PHP 5.3/5.4 with APC 3.1.13 and PHP 5.5.0 with APC 3.15-dev builds for Nginx + php-fpm.

@TheBigK, don't use APC for XenForo, use instead Memcached + APC, or else you will get a lot of fragmentation which will slow down your site. Check this entire thread and read my comments to understand why:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-caching-amazing.32629/

Is a bad decision that you did not installed PHP 5.5, period.
This is an old thread. I've upgraded to php 5.5 and enabled the built-in opcode cache (zend optimiser+). The page loading times, as indicated in GWT are down by 50%. I'm now wondering if using memcache would a good thing to do. What do you suggest?

I already told you what to do in this thread, use OPcache not APC.
Regardless of what PHP cache you plan to use, you still need Memcached. I'll post a complete LNMP tutorial shortly, once I finish the Articles setup to have Likes on frontpage.

This is an old thread. I've upgraded to php 5.5 and enabled the built-in opcode cache (zend optimiser+).
If you see this:
Code:
$ php -v
PHP 5.5.12 (cli) (built: May  1 2014 16:16:24) 
Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2014, by Zend Technologies
Then, you have OPcache enabled. You DON'T need APC.

I already told you what to do in this thread, use OPcache not APC.
Regardless of what PHP cache you plan to use, you still need Memcached. I'll post a complete LNMP tutorial shortly, once I finish the Articles setup to have Likes on frontpage.
Shortly, meaning today? :D
I just purchased new server @ soyoustart and got activated after 2 hours :)
It's already ready for new OS Installation ;)

Ya, I should post the tutorial this weekend. Ah, you mean a headless OVH install also? I'll try.

It's 100% for XenForo ready right? :)
What do you mean by 100% ready? The tutorial will teach you how to get a fresh minimal server install ready for any PHP software, not just XenForo. It will be for advanced users and can be completed in less then 10 minutes, I don't post Copy/Paste style tutorials.

Reactions: rdn
If you see this:
Code:
$ php -v
PHP 5.5.12 (cli) (built: May  1 2014 16:16:24)
Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.5.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2014, by Zend Technologies
Then, you have OPcache enabled. You DON'T need APC.
Yep, it does say exactly the same. I do have OPcache installed. I'm now going to explore possibility of installing memcached.

Last edited:
@p4guru, you are right about the count, I'll adjust the tutorial.
/boot/grub/menu.lst is a soft link to /boot/grub/grub.conf, I always use the soft links instead of real files if thery are available... force of habit.
Code:
# ls -lah /boot/grub/grub.conf
-rw-------. 1 root root 2.8K Apr 18 01:31 /boot/grub/grub.conf
# ls -lah /boot/grub/menu.lst
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Jul  6  2013 /boot/grub/menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
Edit: I fixed the count, thanks for noticing it.
# sed -i "s|^default.*|default=`expr $(grep -cw 'title' /boot/grub/menu.lst) - 1`|" /boot/grub/menu.lst

Last edited:
Yeah it's meant to be a symlink but strange my CentOS 6.5 minimal isn't symlinked for out of box installs. So if that is case for some other folks, might want to adjust to the real file ?

edit: awesome just checked your guide and see you already corrected it :)

Last edited:
@p4guru, I setup every day new RHEL boxes (minimal setup), they are all soft linked. Maybe is a mistake on your box, did you set it yourself from scratch with a RHEL/CentOS dvd? Just create a VM quickly in your KVM manager and see it for yourself. :)
I say this because in certain cases with VM templates or kickstarts, it might be related to human error. But I can assure you the soft link is there. For example, at work, someone decided to break the Selinux soft link in a template:
Code:
$ ls -lah /etc/sysconfig/selinux
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Jul  6  2013 /etc/sysconfig/selinux -> ../selinux/config
So, when I tried to edit the file through soft link, /etc/selinux/config was not updated... I was wondering why I cannot place Selinux in permissive mode, heh. :giggle:

Edit: Feel free to post this into tutorial thread, so other users will check.

Last edited:
Top Bottom