1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by Celestia, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Celestia

Celestia Member

So my site has been up for roughly 2 months now and figured I would share here for any feedback. I will be updating to 1.2.1 very soon. I was waiting for addons and themes to be updated. Feel free to sign up if you'd like.

Short history: I worked as an admin on a vB site that had a rather neglectful owner and eventually it was taken down. With some of the other staff and friends from that site I started this forum cause we were all gaming fans and many of us were looking forward to the release of Ps4. I went with xenforo after considering all the options available. I must say, I couldn't be happier with the software and the community support so far.
    psx and Adam Howard like this.
  2. Steve F

Steve F Well-Known Member

Nice style :p

Works well with the site. Only suggestion is maybe get some node icons pertaining to the topics.
    Celestia likes this.
  3. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I like the countdown block that you use on the sidebar. Is it some Widget Framework?
  4. Celestia

Celestia Member

Yeah I've been thinking about replacing the default icons. Is there a resource to easily change the images for each individual forum? (I know the vB forum I was on had an add-on like that, not sure if someone has made a xF one yet.)

The countdown is actually from a 3rd party website that creates countdowns and provides the html. I just tweaked the code a little so it would fit in the sidebar and added it to the "share this page" template.

Afterwards. I did look into resources for Xenforo that add countdowns and there was a couple really nice ones available, but I just like the style of the one I have, so I kept it.

I've been trying to provide recent info and all release date news for Ps4 as a way to get more traffic to the site. I thought the countdown would be a nice way to get visitors to return to the site.
  5. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I love the PS2 logo, but that font does not fit the whole PSF logo. I'm just not feeling it.

The skin is tolerable, but it's a nice skin! :)
    Celestia likes this.
  6. Celestia

Celestia Member

So I have been working on finding nice node icons and I finally found a style that fit the site. Some were premade and then I just used a template to make more specific icons for the gaming stuff. I added them with CSS code which I'm not in love. It's a fairly long list in my EXTRA.css template, but works for now.

Thanks for the feedback! The logo was just something I threw together. I'm not the best with graphic design but pretty good at taking something and adjusting it to my needs. (inb4 copyright claims)

I agree with you about the theme. I want to add something more modern looking that will fit with the "next gen" style we are going for. My members wanted something dark because they use the shoutbox a lot and this was the first one we added to the site. We had a different theme (Flexile Dark) but it broke when we recently switched to 1.2.1
    Steve F likes this.
  7. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

*points at node icons* Are those made by you? Can you make 'em in orange so I can use them for misc icons on my site?
    Dark is good, just not THAT kind of dark. :) This kind of dark is good. ;)
  8. Celestia

Celestia Member

I found them through a random search online for "forum icons" then I made some gaming specific ones. I'm sure you can adjust the color on them to match your theme. Link

Nice forum! Forum title text is a little "in your face" but I like the modern style of the elements/headers. Used to be big cod fan -> me (sorry back on topic)

I've been looking into a new dark theme and adding a light theme. I love the work pixelExit.com does and should be getting better themes this weekend. My other project for the site is to create a nice homepage. Just trying to figure out which portal/widget system to use.
  9. jtrader

jtrader New Member

Hi, I like the different icons for each forum, would you be able to share some of the CSS you used in extra.css?
  10. jtrader

jtrader New Member

It's all sweet, I got it. If anybody else is looking for the code:
    .node.node_4 .forumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon, .node.node_4 .categoryForumNodeInfo.unread .nodeIcon {
      background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/BMp5MqI.png");
      background-position: 0 0;
      background-repeat: no-repeat;
    .node.node_4 .forumNodeInfo .nodeIcon, .node.node_4 .categoryForumNodeInfo .nodeIcon {
      background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/xYuGc1c.png");
      background-position: 0 0;
      background-repeat: no-repeat;
    psx likes this.