Pictures all of a sudden started showing up broken

PumpinIron

Near as I can tell this just started happening today.

If you look at that thread, you'll see images further down in the post, but they are broken images.

Oddly enough when I go to edit the post, the images show up in the attached images (meaning they aren't broken). However, once you insert them into the post, they show up broken.

I've tested the hell out of this and it happens every single time.

Any idea what could be going on? Not a single error in the error logs and everything is up-to-date software wise.

Totally stumped here.

Going to https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/does-anyone-have-both-a-tuner-and-idrive-installed.26690/ with FireFox shows a Content Encoding Error and in Chrome I get a blank page.

You may be experiencing this...

Going to https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/does-anyone-have-both-a-tuner-and-idrive-installed.26690/ with FireFox shows a Content Encoding Error and in Chrome I get a blank page.

You may be experiencing this...

The only reason I know it can’t be a PHP issue is because I have two other forums running on the same server running the same version of PHP and neither of them have this issue. For some reason it’s exclusive to this particular form of mine.

The only reason I know it can’t be a PHP issue is because I have two other forums running on the same server running the same version of PHP and neither of them have this issue. For some reason it’s exclusive to this particular form of mine.
It'd be a heck of a coincidence that on the same day that multiple people are experiencing a problem with the same symptoms that you're having that the issue isn't the same.

Are you running cPanel with MultiPHP? If so, you've got nothing to lose by trying the fix in that thread. (Or, even if you're not running cPanel with MultiPHP, try the same thing of temporarily turning off zlib output_compression.)

Are you running cPanel with MultiPHP? If so, you've got nothing to lose by trying the fix in that thread. (Or, even if you're not running cPanel with MultiPHP, try the same thing of temporarily turning off zlib output_compression.)

We had the same problem yesterday, and this is what did the trick. The issue occurred after a WHM/CPanel update.

It'd be a heck of a coincidence that on the same day that multiple people are experiencing a problem with the same symptoms that you're having that the issue isn't the same.

You’re right, going to try this now and see what happens. Stay tuned!

It’s still so odd that it’s not happening to the other forums and I haven’t touched anything since way before it started happening.

zlib output_compression was already disabled so no luck there.

What's odd is that the site loads fine for me (probably cache), but some users are reporting seeing this error in their browser:

Screenshot_20220324-204759.webp

Well here's something interesting. When I switch from PHP 8.0 to PHP 7.3, everything works again like magic.

Again though, why are all the other forums running on PHP 8.0 without issues but yet this forum is having some sort of issue associated with 8.0?

It could be you are running an addon that is causing the issue. I would disable all addons then enable PHP 8 and see what happens. If it works then enable addons one by one until it doesn't load or causes issues then you know what addon needs an update.

It could be you are running an addon that is causing the issue. I would disable all addons then enable PHP 8 and see what happens. If it works then enable addons one by one until it doesn't load or causes issues then you know what addon needs an update.
Good idea, I'll try this next and report back.

Numerous XenForo sites had issues with the recent automatic PHP update to PHP 8.0.17 and 8.1.4. Mostly reported by cPanel users. This occurred a few days back. Most of them were able to fix the issue by disabling z.lib compression. A XenForo bug fix has already been created and will be available in the XenForo 2.2.9 release.

The issue could be confusing due to browser cache causing the issues not to affect all users and the issue also did not affect all browsers equally. Basically it was caused by XenForo not correctly recognizing/ignoring z.lib compression because XenForo itself already does .gzip compression on it's own. The bug fix makes sure z.lib compression is disabled for your XenForo domain even if enabled for the server.

Numerous XenForo sites had issues with the recent automatic PHP update to PHP 8.0.17 and 8.1.4. Mostly reported by cPanel users. This occurred a few days back. Most of them were able to fix the issue by disabling z.lib compression. A XenForo bug fix has already been created and will be available in the XenForo 2.2.9 release.

The issue could be confusing due to browser cache causing the issues not to affect all users and the issue also did not affect all browsers equally. Basically it was caused by XenForo not correctly recognizing/ignoring z.lib compression because XenForo itself already does .gzip compression on it's own. The bug fix makes sure z.lib compression is disabled for your XenForo domain even if enabled for the server.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't have any idea there was a bug fix coming out for this. I'll keep the one forum at PHP 7.3 until the fix comes out and see if that helps. I'll report back once I find something out.

Not sure where did you add it.
But I have that config in all my XF 2.x site as I use Brotli compression.

More info:

I added it at the bottom so it looks like this:

PHP:
$config['db']['host'] = 'localhost';
$config['db']['port'] = 3346;
$config['db']['username'] = '**********';
$config['db']['password'] = '************';
$config['db']['dbname'] = '****************';
$config['db']['socket'] = null;
$config['enableTfa'] = false;
$config['fullUnicode'] = true;
$config['enableAddOnArchiveInstaller'] = true;