XF 1.2 php.ini file causes problems with loggin in

Mr Lucky

I have a php.ini file with the following

Code:
<?php
upload_max_filesize = 20M

This causes peoples' passwords to not work when logging in, they just get the error:

Incorrect password. Please try again.

As soon as I remove the php.ini file everything is fine again.

I have the same php.ini file on other sites (Wordpress) on the same server so I don't see how this can be an issue with the host, in fact I've asked them and they say if it is fine with wordpress it should be fine with xenForo. There is nothing on the server that should cause this.

Can anyone help please?

If you go to <url>/admin.php?tools/phpinfo without the file and then with it, does anything change? (What PHP version is it?)

php version 5.2.17

With the php.ini

/data02/caf/public_html/community/php.ini

Without:

/usr/local/lib/php.ini

Not sure if anything else changes, what should I look for?

php version 5.2.17
Ouch... shared host? They are just a "few" versions behind on their PHP. If they don't get updated soon, some of the newer scripts will not work with that ancient ( Released: 06 January 2011 )
version. Will they not upgrade their PHP? If not, it might be time to start looking at a new hosting provider also.

I don't see any reason for this if the PHP version isn't changing.

If you submit a ticket with FTP details and details for a user account that I can test this with (it can be a new account, if it can be reproduced with that), I can look into it.

I don't see any reason for this if the PHP version isn't changing.

If you submit a ticket with FTP details and details for a user account that I can test this with (it can be a new account, if it can be reproduced with that), I can look into it.

Thanks Mike, I will do that, but when testing (and if you find the issue) you be able to not leave the forum withy the problem for too long as the members will get upset if they get this error. When I test it I activate the php.ini just for just a few seconds, long enough to test the login, then rename it to something else e.g. phptest.ini so it all works again.

Thanks Mike for sorting it out via the ticket!
Can you recommend any? (UK ideally)
Best thing I can recommend is looking on WebHostingTalk. Since I'm in the US I don't keep up with any of the UK based ones. I don't use shared hosting anyway (only used HostGator for about 2 months then got a VPS and used it for 1 month and then got 3 dedicated servers - the dedi's allow ME to have ALL the resources and be in full control of it).

Ouch... shared host? They are just a "few" versions behind on their PHP. If they don't get updated soon, some of the newer scripts will not work with that ancient ( Released: 06 January 2011 )
version. Will they not upgrade their PHP? If not, it might be time to start looking at a new hosting provider also.

OK, I found out the reason for having the old version of PHP. Being a shared server, if they upgrade then half their customers running old websites will have problems.
So when someone requests a PHP upgrade, they just move them to a server which already has a recent version.

It makes sense, but if I find an affordable dedicated server I will consider that anyway. Zen charge £150 p.m. plus £100 to manage it (which I probably need)

Top Bottom