PHP-FPM: are you using it? Why or why not?

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
I haven't converted my server to PHP-FPM but I am curious about the advantages and any disadvantages of doing so.

Anyone here have their Apache server configured for PHP-FPM? What are the benefits and have you found any drawbacks?

Using my own developed Centmin Mod LEMP stack for past 9+ yrs for Nginx + PHP-FPM + MariaDB MySQL and 10000s of users including Alexa Top 5000 sites are using Centmin Mod stack - including lots of Xenforo users https://community.centminmod.com/th...p-powers-10-of-xenforos-largest-forums.16435/
Apache with PHP-FPM haven't used much of but it will be better than Apache with other PHP handlers but won't be faster than Nginx with PHP-FPM even if Apache uses event handler to match Nginx event handling as Nginx is more efficient than Apache at serving requests from my benchmark testing.

Best advice get a test VPS server and test out Apache with PHP-FPM on a copy/clone of your site to see how it performs and learn the ropes to evaluate it without impacting your live site/server first.

Been running PHP-FPM for a few years now.

As for benefits:
  • Faster more efficient process cleanups
  • Per-domain pool management, makes configuration and tweaking much easier (ability to tweak per domain, instead of per server)
  • Built-in opcode caching for PHP scripts, seems to work well without many tweaks needed in most circumstances
The only disadvantage I can think of is that it can be a little more complicated and time consuming to setup and tweak. I believe I've seen you mention before you run cPanel, if so, then the cPanel interface makes this a lot easier when first transitioning into it.

Overall you'll probably won't notice any difference when initially changing over. It's not until you tweak each domain will you begin to see any benefits. If your server is running efficiently already and you're not pushing the server load - you may never notice any difference.

I have taken the plunge on three cPanel servers.

So far, no downsides. Page load speed decreased (i.e., improved) for websites on all three servers, interestingly moreso for Xenforo forums running P{HP 7.4.x than for WordPress sites or for a vBulletin 4.2.5 site still running PHP 7.1.x.

Last edited:
I have taken the plunge on three cPanel servers.

So far, no downsides. Page load speed decreased (i.e., improved) for websites on all three servers, interestingly moreso for Xenforo forums running P{HP 7.4.x than for WordPress sites or for a vBulletin 4.2.5 site still running PHP 7.1.x.
I just plunged into using Apache with php-fpm and so far I'm liking the results. I'm using Redis cache to help with sessions and other load times that I don't want to see go up.

Top Bottom