php 5.3 end of life

Adam Howard

Thought I would bring to everyone's attention that php 5.3 is currently scheduled for end of life on March 2013 (3 months from now). php 5.3 was originally released June 2009.

http://php.net/archive/2012.php#id2012-12-20-1

Please note that the PHP 5.3 series will enter an end of life cycle and receive only critical fixes as of March 2013.

php 5.5 is generally "planned" in or around that time which would technically make 5.4 legacy (1 build behind current).

Since all addons I use seem to play nice on versions above 5.3, I decided to update. Smooth sailing so far.

Thank you for the heads up.

I find it kind of funny that as it's reaching "end of life" people now see a reason to update to it and not past it. I'd recommend upgrading to something that hasn't ended production (not end of life), such as php 5.4 .... As 5.5 is just around the corner (beta 1 is being worked out).

March 2013:

5.2 - end of life
5.3 - end of life
php 5.4 - legacy
php 5.5 - current

I don't think in every instance EoL triggers people to update. In my case, I was forced to downgrade to 5.3 until recently. Some scripts I needed to use did not function correctly on 5.4. As much as I'd love to attempt to fix the problems myself, I didn't have the time :p.

Assuming PHP 5.5 doesn't break anything I use (or something that's not easily corrected), I'd gladly update to it. I like working on the bleeding edge as long as it's posted out as stable in most cases.

EDIT: Technically 5.4 is current, but yes, I agree it's legacy once PHP 5.5 is posted as stable and released.

I don't think in every instance EoL triggers people to update. In my case, I was forced to downgrade to 5.3 until recently. Some scripts I needed to use did not function correctly on 5.4. As much as I'd love to attempt to fix the problems myself, I didn't have the time :p.

Assuming PHP 5.5 doesn't break anything I use (or something that's not easily corrected), I'd gladly update to it. I like working on the bleeding edge as long as it's posted out as stable in most cases.

EDIT: Technically 5.4 is current, but yes, I agree it's legacy once PHP 5.5 is posted as stable and released.

php 5.5 is "trying" to reach stable in March (April or May most likely). They normally do not like publicly releasing any plan date (it's ready when it is ready). Of course once it is released it will be as stable build.

Unlike the upgrade from php 5.3 to 5.4 .... A lot of things for 5.4 and 5.5 will be reverse compatible.... ie... If it worked in 5.4 it will most likely work in 5.5

5.5 was added to cPanel bleeding edge repo yesterday.

Currently running 5.4 and there are zero issues other then the simple to fix debug mode issue. Even made a test board with the 150 most used plugins running on it, no PHP conflicts.

There is a bug only in 5.4 that threads give a error above the header..
Template Errors: thread_view

Illegal string offset 'thumbnailUrl' in

It is only viewable to admins though and only appears in debug.

Going into template - attachment_editor

and removing

<xen:set var="$attachment"></xen:set>

fixes it
I probably shouldn't have done it but I went ahead and made this change to my Master Template.

It fixed one of the issues I had in this thread: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-folders-inside-data-and-internal_data.44074/

PHP 5.5 only has a few bugs left to resolve, so they are right on track for Gold release in March.
Actually, the first beta will be March 7th (in or about that time).

Things were pushed back to add more features. Partly in response to MySQL 5.6 release.... Php does follow their development as a matter of interest.

Actually, the first beta will be March 7th (in or about that time).

Things were pushed back to add more features. Partly in response to MySQL 5.6 release.... Php does follow their development as a matter of interest.

So 1.2 + PHP 5.5 + MySQL 5.6 ?

Unlike the upgrade from php 5.3 to 5.4 .... A lot of things for 5.4 and 5.5 will be reverse compatible.... ie... If it worked in 5.4 it will most likely work in 5.5
I had no issues going from 5.3 to 5.4, though iff there is one in XF, I haven't found it (yet).
going from 5.2 to 5.3 is a nightmare, especially on a shared server (I'm not, but I do administrate them), I can only imagine going to 5.4 will be worse.

Top Bottom