Photoshop drives me CRAZY!!

I would say that about 98% of what I usually need to do to a Photo can be done with LR.
I do genuinely wish that were true in my case, as I love Lightroom dearly, but Photoshop is still absolutely indispensable for my photos sometimes, especially when it comes to things like removing lighting rig apparatus in a shot etc.

No doubt that Lightroom has massively sped up my workflow for the majority of shots though.

I've grown up with Photoshop, used it since version 2 (as far as I know, that's when I started counting, I may have used version 1, I'm not sure) and while I'd love to try doing some graphics in Fireworks, I always find myself back in Photoshop. Even Illustrator has me tearing my hair out within a few minutes, I tend to get annoyed at anything that doesn't work like Photoshop.

Fair enough :). It really comes down to using the tool that works best for *you* individually. A lot of time past experience/familiarity plays a huge role in that. I *KNOW* Photoshop is the industrial standard tool for image manipulation, but it's counter-intuitive for me personally.

I think part of becoming an *actual* adult instead of a chronological adult, is learning that it's totally OK for other people to have totally different preferences. Not just paying lip-service to "Everyone is different" but really grokking it. :)

I visited a offset printer in Cleveland, Ohio years ago, they took me on a tour of the facility, their entire pre-press department was filled with Mac Workstations, the owner introduced me to the master guru running the digital pre-press department, very smart man for sure.

Needless to say, you are not going to become an expert in no time flat and compete with that sort of operation just by purchasing some software packages.

I've grown up with Photoshop, used it since version 2 (as far as I know, that's when I started counting, I may have used version 1, I'm not sure) and while I'd love to try doing some graphics in Fireworks, I always find myself back in Photoshop. Even Illustrator has me tearing my hair out within a few minutes, I tend to get annoyed at anything that doesn't work like Photoshop.
I don't like Illustrator for that same reason. It frustrates me because its a little confusing for my taste.

Photoshop on the other hand has its moments. I stopped using photoshop until I have bought a better version. At CS3 I've been using it deep into the product, but I've used photoshop before that.

I use always Photoshop 8 (work perfectly on Seven ^-^), I don't like the new versions, too heavy ..

I'm not using that early version of photoshop (I started on photoshop 7) but using cs2 and will continue to use it for a few years to come. Everything I need cs2 can comfortably do not to mention I like to get value for my money when purchasing anything.

I'm not using that early version of photoshop (I started on photoshop 7) but using cs2 and will continue to use it for a few years to come. Everything I need cs2 can comfortably do not to mention I like to get value for my money when purchasing anything.

I'm on CS3 and have no plans to upgrade. :)

I'm on CS3 and have no plans to upgrade. :)

Good to hear Kim.

I see alot of people (who have never used a graphics editor) saying that they've got cs5 (insert latest build here) and don't know how to use it which has always puzzled me. Why would anyone in their right mind purchase 1. a package that's expensive 2. not go and purchase an earlier version of photoshop on the cheap. 3. experiment with free based alternatives first to familiarise themselves with the tools before going for premium based solutions.

I think this is a large percentage why photoshop drives people "crazy". Purchasing a package that they have never used and expect to know what to do and then upon using it they have no clue. Don't get me wrong photoshop drives me mad sometimes with it's little annoying attributes like the Snap feature auto enabling itself and whilst transferring my works to imageready crashing. I dunno, I personally feel and have noticed that a large majority rely on using the filters and 3rd party add-ons so they get a quick easy result and learn nothing. Learn the tools that photoshop has and your on your way in making progress.

I've never followed a tutorial in my life, nor went to college in learning photoshop everything has been done through experimenting over the years and tinkering testing my patience i may add but by learning the tools you actually learn and create rather than use filters as an easy fix and learn nothing in the long run. Don't expect to use photoshop off the bat and know everything is the point, it takes time.

Anyway. dunno if i went off-topic with this but there so much to photoshop than photography based works and filters (creating signatures using stock images). Learn the tools and you learn to create and you'll reap the full benefits that photoshop possesses. :)

edit: I talk too much.

Top Bottom