Photoshop alternative - free or otherwise?

Although it's not free Paint Shop Pro is MUCH cheaper than Photoshop and does just about everything Photoshop does.
I have PS7, and could never afford to upgrade. I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 7, and I'm reluctant to torture it with PS7 :p Before I do, however, I want to check out the alternatives. I'm about to start work on a new website (with forums powered by Xenforo :D ), so I need to install something ASAP.
As BirdOPrey5 mentioned...Paint Shop Pro and if you go on ebay and get version 9 or 10 it's even cheaper. It handles almost evrything PS does. And the newest version, PSP 13 even acts like PS in lots of ways, has a version of the Recompose, does jpf files natively, PS requires a plugin and uses all the same filters as well. IF the filter will run in Windows 7, it will run in PSP.

As BirdOPrey5 mentioned...Paint Shop Pro and if you go on ebay and get version 9 or 10 it's even cheaper. It handles almost evrything PS does. And the newest version, PSP 13 even acts like PS in lots of ways, has a version of the Recompose, does jpf files natively, PS requires a plugin and uses all the same filters as well. IF the filter will run in Windows 7, it will run in PSP.
Aha, that sounds tempting to spend a few $$ on. I'll have to keep that in mind as well for future permanent PS replacement.

and you do not have to use one program exclusively. you could use one for something and another for something else.
that's why photoshop is good. It's a one stop shop :D

Yeah, photoshop is indeed the one stop shop (imo). But then it's what you are comfortable with. right? photoshop or any other program for that matter is only as good as the person that uses it. :)

Can anyone loan me $700 for CS5? :p

Let me say now you don't need cs5. chances are you'll not even touch 99% of the features. I've used cs2 since it was released and haven't upgraded. Anything you need to design you could do with photoshop 7. that is a fact. :)

Yeah, photoshop is indeed the one stop shop (imo). But then it's what you are comfortable with. right? photoshop or any other program for that matter is only as good as the person that uses it. :)

haha very true :D I have an amazing bad taste :D (true)

Then I'm goanna hold you to it :D
LOL--I didn't say I was *good* at it! I think the only things I've done so far are where I take images from online (usually of Pokemon, lol :oops:), trace them with the pen tool, and fill 'em in. They look sharper than the original artwork, at least. :D

LOL--I didn't say I was *good* at it! I think the only things I've done so far are where I take images from online (usually of Pokemon, lol :oops:), trace them with the pen tool, and fill 'em in. They look sharper than the original artwork, at least. :D

That's because whilst using the pen tool your delving into vectors which are sharper and crispier. :) And, when re-sizing which most do you get no quality loss whatsoever. :)

the new shiny CS5 does natively (finally)
Yeah, but it took til CS5 to do what PSP 9 does natively? And PSP 9 has been out since before October 2004 when Corel purchased JASC.

Granted there are some things that PS does better but not at the price of $600 more ($699 for PS & $99 for PSP). Unless you are a graphics designer and you have to have all the bells and whistles.

Does anyone have suggestions for a free alternative to Photoshop? I'd like something that does everything PS does, or at least close as possible. I've heard of GIMPshop and of course GIMP, which is said to be what I'm looking for, but I'd like to shop around if there is anything else to compare.

Thanks!

You could try Adobe Photoshop Elements or Corel PaintShop Photo. They're not free, but they're significantly less expensive than Photoshop CS5. I never cared much for PaintShop, but I use Photoshop Elements right along side Photoshop CS5 on near daily basis... it doesn't have all the bell and whistles of CS5, but it should be fine for most users.

Yeah, but it took til CS5 to do what PSP 9 does natively? And PSP 9 has been out since before October 2004 when Corel purchased JASC.

Granted there are some things that PS does better but not at the price of $600 more ($699 for PS & $99 for PSP). Unless you are a graphics designer and you have to have all the bells and whistles.

Yes I agree. Photoshop saves ton of time to those who know how to work with it. and it comes with a price.

Last time i looked at GIMP it didn't have layers, making it a no go as a replacement for Photoshop in my opinion.

It has layers. It is very much a photoshop clone. And it can open and save psd files if you want to use that format. I made a 48x36inch poster for the scholarship program at my local college using GIMP. Here is a small save of it:

poster.webp

Many layers. ;)

There is no downside except for the interface. The windowing of different elements of the program is a little clunky.