XF 1.4 Phantom Alerts ???

eriche

Hello,

I don`t know if this is a Bug, so I post this in troubleshooting.

Doesn`t matter with which user I log in, I always get a red Alert count symbol and when I go with the mouse over Alerts, sometimes no Alert is shown :eek: (you have no new alerts).

Anothertime I see 5 Alerts in the red Symbol and when I hover over Alerts I see 1 event :(

So this can`t be normal?
I don`t know if a plugin is messing up the alerts - but I need to know in the Database how to check whats wrong :unsure:

So how is the alert count build?
Why are no new alerts, even if there is the red alarm sign?

Erich

When an alert is inserted, the counter is incremented. It may be that the alert has since been deleted (the action no longer applies, the alert was too old and expired) or it may be that you no longer have permission to view the content the alert was related to. It's not something that should happen particularly regularly but it can happen.

An add-on could certainly be involved. Given that we don't generally hear anything like this, I would assume that's the case.

Thaks Mike for the answer.
Like I sayed, it might be an Addon causing this - also my guess.

Also with the Administrator account I get the phantom alerts - so it can not be a rights problem.

And it is happening after every login!

So could you be so nice and guide me into the right direction to find the error o_O
When I know where I have to look in the DB, I can give the plugin developer a hint to fix it.
And maybe you can see somewhere WHO triggered the Alert :rolleyes:

Because it will be hard to figure out which plugin is causing this - even if I have a guess,...

Erich

Last edited:
The only way to determine which add-on may be causing it is by disabling them all and re-enabling them one at a time until it reoccurs.

Its probably caused by a popular addon, because I also see it happening on sites like theadminzone.com
To get some clues on where to look first, maybe compare the addons you have with the functionality TAZ runs.

You can dig into the xf_user_alert table which might give some hints based on content type and the action, but it may be difficult to identify the specific alert that isn't being shown. (Or it's possible it's been deleted from the DB but without the counter being decremented.)

I get this a lot on various XF sites and have done for quite a long time.

The admin zone and digital point off the top of my head. But there's definitely been many more.

Usually after I've not logged in for weeks at a time.

Top Bottom