Personal Messaging Issue

Bigstack

On my site when users try to PM (message) each other when the submit button is hit... the site hangs with the loading animation... the message sends but the users end up hitting send multiple times and then have to click to another page to get out. Basically PMs hang never redirect out once message is sent.

Any help?

I've moved this to troubleshooting. It's likely problems sending mail -- you should check the mail configuration. If you're using an external SMTP server, I'd recommend turning that off. Alternatively, it could be an add-on.

1.2 will likely help reduce the effects of this particular issue with mail queuing, but it won't fix the mail problems.

I use a SMTP server but is has never gave me these issues before this happened with the 1.1.4 update I did a little bit ago that's when people started to mention it.

I use a SMTP server but is has never gave me these issues before this happened with the 1.1.4 update I did a little bit ago that's when people started to mention it.

This has been a problem for many other people, not just in the latest updates. Direct SMTP email exposes the front-end to mail problems such as delays or errors in sending the notification emails. It could be a slow mail connection or a problem with one of the recipient addresses... anything that may cause delays in sending emails.

There is no other reason why the posting response would be delayed. You can test the mail theory by adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
$config['enableMail'] = 0;

If that fixes the problem then you know it's an email problem.

The fix is to switch back to the default mail server:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Email Options -> Email Transport Method

...or wait for 1.2 which will have mail queuing. That will make it so the front-end is no longer exposed to mail delays.

Will putting that line in there still allow emails to get sent? or will this basically disable emails? What if i turned off emails for PMs.. Cause I would like the other emails to get sent (replys to posts etc)

Will putting that line in there still allow emails to get sent? or will this basically disable emails? What if i turned off emails for PMs.. Cause I would like the other emails to get sent (replys to posts etc)

It turns off all emails for the purpose of troubleshooting. It is not a fix.

All notification emails create this problem, so it doesn't make sense to disable only some notifications. You need to address the problem at the mail server. The fix is to switch back to the default mail server:

...or wait for 1.2 which will have mail queuing. That will make it so the front-end is no longer exposed to mail delays.

It turns off all emails for the purpose of troubleshooting. It is not a fix.

All notification emails create this problem, so it doesn't make sense to disable only some notifications. You need to address the problem at the mail server. The fix is to switch back to the default mail server:

Adding that to the config made it work. I don't want to use the php email as it all gets flaged as spam for me. SMTP is the only way for me to make it to inboxes. I will have to look at my STMP setup but I'm able to use my outlook etc with the same info that I put into the Email settings perhaps something is wrong with the SMTP email in Xenforo

Top Bottom