Fixed  Personal Conversations: "Delete conversation" phrase is misleading

NolF

When pressing "delete conversation" in a private conversation, two options show up
  1. Accept future messages
  2. Ignore future messages
Neither of them deletes the conversation per se, #1 hides it until there is another reply, #2 logs you out of that conversation. In both cases the conversation can continue on if there are more than 2 people (or if the link is still known).

How would you word it???

Other than making it simply two options...

1. Hide Conversation
2. Leave Conversation

I can't think of a unified term for both of these Delete seems fine to me as it deletes it from your inbox either way.

I told Kier this when I was first testing it conversations, he didn't seem to care.... or something :) let me go check what he said

Kier said:
The important thing is that it removes the conversation from your list - to most people that would be considered deletion (even if it's not what happens on a technical level).

If you didn't start the conversation, why should you be able to delete it? For example, if 5 people are in a conversation, and one person wants out and deletes it, how are the rest supposed to continue the conversation? I'm betting that a copy of each message isn't in the database for each user. Each user is likely linked to the conversation so they see the messages.

That's the point I was trying to get across to Kier (and my initial confusion) The conversation is never deleted, deleting it never stops the other participants from viewing it. It is just "Deleted" for the user. I really do think "Leave Conversation" is the best wording

If you didn't start the conversation, why should you be able to delete it? For example, if 5 people are in a conversation, and one person wants out and deletes it, how are the rest supposed to continue the conversation? I'm betting that a copy of each message isn't in the database for each user. Each user is likely linked to the conversation so they see the messages.

The rest can continue the conversation. The person who deletes it is deleting it only from their profile.

ah, I misunderstood. My bad :p

spanking.gif

So wait... what if everyone decides to leave the conversation? Does it then become an orphan conversation running around the database, or is it deleted?

So wait... what if everyone decides to leave the conversation? Does it then become an orphan conversation running around the database, or is it deleted?

In that case, it's probably actually deleted, just like with PMs in vB, which aren't actually deleted until everyone deletes their "copy".

In that case, it's probably actually deleted, just like with PMs in vB, which aren't actually deleted until everyone deletes their "copy".

Probably, yes, but I just want to be sure. :p Could be Mike or Kier forgot about that particular instance (slim though). No harm in bringing it up. :)

How would you word it???

Other than making it simply two options...

1. Hide Conversation
2. Leave Conversation

I can't think of a unified term for both of these Delete seems fine to me as it deletes it from your inbox either way.

I like those two options, I would probably change the phrase "delete conversation" to "manage conversation" or something like that. I originally (honestly) thought I could delete the conversation for all participants by merely pressing that button as I wasn't aware it had sub-options, and the phrase was quite "clear" in what would happen.

So I am curious if the conversation is deleted from the database or not if everybody leaves. Can we get any confirmation on what happens if everybody leaves?

It's removed. Would just be wrong otherwise. Orphan data (particularly orphaning a user can do) is not a good thing.

what if everyone has it set to ignore... not sure of your database structure, but this seems like a weird case, maybe not though

what if everyone has it set to ignore... not sure of your database structure, but this seems like a weird case, maybe not though

I'm speculating here but I would expect that if you knew the URL you would still have access and thus be able to reply an activate it for other participants :/

If all participants leave the conversation, regardless of whether they choose "accept future messages" or "ignore future messages", then the correct behavior would be to completely delete the conversation. It most likely already works like this.

Top Bottom