Persistent Alerts

Persistent Alerts [Paid] 1.3.1

No permission to buy ($25.00)
@Biarritz64 the idea is to only send an alert if they have no unread alerts for that thread. So if you read the alert, the thread can send another alert for a reply. If you haven't read that alert, it will not send an alert.

The default XenForo behaviour is to only send alerts based off visiting the thread. Checking you alerts does nothing!

Without that option checked, this add-on will cause alerts to be sent all the time.

Reactions: rdn
Attempting to install this, and it errors out with "String could not be parsed as XML" on trying to read the addon file. I xmllint'd the file as a sanity check, and it is valid, so probably didn't get corrupted somehow.

EDIT: Turns out this was an unrelated configuration issue that was keeping it from reading the file. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hey @Xon , is it possible to have a per-user option to opt *out* of persistent alerts, if they are on by default in the admincp options?

There already is, "Persistent Alerts Enabled" under alert preferences.

I'm sorry I worded my question incorrectly. So in admincp options, I have "Persistent Alert - User Option" unchecked; that is, I want persistent alerts to be on for all users by default. But there are some users (a small minority) who do not want persistent alerts and prefer default xenforo behavior.

Please disregard this request however, I think the interest is such a small number of users it's not worth the trouble.

Carry on! :)

@kontrabass what I believe would work is the option to set the default state for pre-user "persistent alert option" on signup. This should be fairly simple todo

Once this is done, you can opt-in everyone with the following SQL, then change "Persistent Alert - User Option" to enabled.
Code:
update xf_user_option set xm_persistentalert = 1;

I recently purchases this add-on and I have a question. As is, if a user receives multiple alerts to a thread or they dismiss an alert and have a later alert to the thread without viewing the actual thread, this will take them to the most recent post, correct? Is it possible to make the alert bring them to their first unread post in the thread even if the alert shows newer posts?

The XenForo Alert points to a specific post rather than the last unread location in a thread. This add-on just allows a thread to keep sending alerts as replies are sent, it doesn't change the alert's contents.

You may be interested in my Thread Starter Alerts and Threadmarks Pro with how it generates an thread starter/OP alert when someone replies with a threadmark attached to the post (basically a post title), or if they write a reply above some word count.

I'd like to report a possible bug.

A member has reported that the Alert button no longer displays a pop-up on an alert automatically when they hover over it. Instead, they have to click it to see alerts.

They are so far the only member to report this. They are using the latest version of Firefox, but said the problem exists in multiple browsers. They've tried clearing their cache.

I've tested this on a Mac with Chrome, Safari, as well as Forefox 49.0.9 and Firefox 52.0 and have been unable to recreate the problem. My only recent changes were moving to https and installing this add-on.

This add-on (or any of my alert-based add-on) do not actually interact with how XenForo alerts display or handled UI wise. It simply alters how alerts are generated in the first place.

This is likely a theming issue.

This add-on (or any of my alert-based add-on) do not actually interact with how XenForo alerts display or handled UI wise. It simply alters how alerts are generated in the first place.

This is likely a theming issue.

Thanks you. I'll rest in the Xenforo default theme and examing my customized templates.

Would it be an idea to set a cutoff date? For example if a member hasn't been online for 30 days they will not recieve new alerts?

Hi, what exactly does this add-on do? I installed it yesterday, today I logged on, hovered over the alerts link, moved my mouse and the red alerts balloon went away?

In my usercp I have Persistent Alerts enabled, in the admin panel I have all 4 options ticked. How do I get the alerts to stay there?

This add-on doesn't remove alerts (or stop them being removed, it just allows additional alerts to be created once you view an alert for a thread rather than having to visit the thread itself (with those options).

The standard XF option "Hours to Retain Viewed Alerts in Popup" governs how long the alerts stay in the pop-up, and is used to consider something as "recently read"

Hi there @Xon, I installed your add-on and it works great. However, upon following your FAQ here, I couldn't locate the "xm_persistentalert" field to run the query. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Thanks in advance for the help!

Top Bottom