Persistent Alerts

Persistent Alerts [Paid] 1.3.1

No permission to buy ($25.00)
And sorry - Where do I put that query? Right in the SQL database?

edit - Tried running that in phpmyadmin but it didn't appear to do anything

Last edited:
It should have updated every user. Take a screenshot of the result of this query:
Code:
select count(userid) as total_users from xf_users where
xm_persistentalert = 1

It should have updated every user. Take a screenshot of the result of this query:
Code:
select count(userid) as total_users from xf_users where
xm_persistentalert = 1

Screen Shot 2016-02-07 at 22.21.49.webp

Think that doesn't look right. I checked to make sure it's the same database as in the config file and it is. If I run your original query then I don't get anything at all, nothing to show anything has been done

I tested it by running your original suggestion>Allowed change in user CP>Logged into spare (normal member account) and noticed the option was unticked.

I also picked a random user and went to edit their profile but can't see from the admin panel if the option is 'ticked' because I can't see it from the admin area

Hope that makes sense

Last edited:
Sorry I typed the query wrong.

Code:
select count(userid) as total_users from xf_user where
xm_persistentalert = 1

Yes. I don't see how you could have possibly gotten the sams error. If you'd like to pm me cpanel access I'll try a look and make sure all your users are opted in

This is a pretty good option to use on a site to be honest!

OK - My site is motorcycle related so you could argue that it's got busier because of the warmer/riding season coming into play - But one thing IS for sure, the members that I do have (over 3k) are way more active after using this add on, mainly because threads are not getting missed etc!

My sites so/so busy but extremely niche, nearly 4k members and well over 100k posts blah blah but this plugin works very very well - I'm not 100% sure if it would be annoying on a massive website but one thing is for sure.....It will make your site just that little bit better!

Last edited:
Wow, I'm going to be using like... all of your add-ons. Haha. Very excited to give this one a go. Users have complained about "missing alerts" from day 1. Nice to see a user pref too.
I've had this issue since day one and never knew how to get around it.. My members always moan about this!

So.......this seems to be something I'll be getting later tonight to finally stop the whole "The site is broken, I'm not getting any alerts" thing since users never really understand the fact taht alerts only come after you visit a thread after your last alert.

Question can I make it so that its persistent alerts only? Not interested in raising email costs any more then they are, so If I can optionally leave those like normal so it doesn't generate more, that would be great.
Agreed and can be a nightmare.!

Well Daniel, the add-on works great! But for us, it generates just too many alerts. I guess we're blessed to have a lot of traffic :D @arn this would be an issue for you as well it seems. When we tested for 24 hours, users were swamped with 50, 60... some 80 alerts after 12 hours of not logging in (we have emails surpressed thankfully). With that many alerts, they found it difficult to find any one alert they were looking out for.

I feel that this will work great on less-trafficked boards as is. For big boards, IMO we need Facebook-style alerts. For example instead of 30 alerts for replies to one busy thread, one alert would read "Joe Doe and 29 others replied to the thread "blah blah" ;)
Oh no.. This was going so well and I almost bought as alerts are an issue and I didn't know how to handle it...
That said, we can right now get 30-40 alerts within 10 minutes. This would cause too many issues it seems.
Damn. Sorry @Daniel Hood - almost a buy from me to resolve this alerts issue, but our members and we can get 30-40 alerts within minutes as is on busy threads. This would be alert overload.
I'd love to know if you can group them though that would be amazing..
Gutted now :(

I've had this issue since day one and never knew how to get around it.. My members always moan about this!

Agreed and can be a nightmare.!

Oh no.. This was going so well and I almost bought as alerts are an issue and I didn't know how to handle it...
That said, we can right now get 30-40 alerts within 10 minutes. This would cause too many issues it seems.
Damn. Sorry @Daniel Hood - almost a buy from me to resolve this alerts issue, but our members and we can get 30-40 alerts within minutes as is on busy threads. This would be alert overload.
I'd love to know if you can group them though that would be amazing..
Gutted now :(
Sorry it's not of use for you in it's current form. I may look into grouping them in the future. That said, my Watched Threads Digest add-on may be of interest to you.

Sorry it's not of use for you in it's current form. I may look into grouping them in the future. That said, my Watched Threads Digest add-on may be of interest to you.
No need to apologise whatsoever. It certainly does 'fix' the alerts issue, my members always moan about it.. But the issue here is it will flood them no doubt.
If you group them in future then this would be a winner.
Will keep an eye and thank you for the nudge about your other add-on. :)

If you group them in future then this would be a winner.

This is something that comes up on my own site to be honest. I've chosen to ignore it for the moment though but it would be great for groups, or something like that

I did turn off the plugin for a day or two and people moaned about not getting alerts ha

@Xon can you add a feature for watched resources also ? like users who had still not downloaded the update of resource will receive an another mail ?

Just an fyi, I'm planning a new version release soon.

Preliminary changes list:
  • Option to send alerts only if there are no unread alerts for a thread (on by default). This should reduce the spam/clutter generated by this add-on.
  • Rework add-on for better compatibility with a private add-on of mine which sends alerts, and a future intended add-on release which modifies alert handling.
  • Use code listener hints.

@Xon can you add a feature for watched resources also ? like users who had still not downloaded the update of resource will receive an another mail ?
Users watching a resources are always emailed on resource updates.

Last edited:
Xon updated Persistent Alerts with a new update entry:

Feature update

• Rewrite how persistant alerts are generated to be compatible with an internal alert-related add-on ("Thread Starter Alerts")
  • Option to only alert if there are no unread alerts.
    • This feature causes an SQL query per alerted member per post.
    • An upcoming "deferred alerts" add-on will help offset this by pushing large volumes of alerts into the deferred task system.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom