Permission System..

FredC

I didnt know where to post this so here it is, Move if necessary..
Am i the only one having a hard time wrapping my head around this permission system as a whole.. The Test user permissions works but only to the point if you know exactly what its supposed to change.. I wish that feature would allow me to see the site exactly as that particular member sees it.. Including posts read unread..

Back to the permissions. Maybe its just user error or my site just doesnt like me.. Either way this is beyond frustrating in trying to set Usergroup permissions.. For whatever reason i cant give my Sponsors group permissions to edit their own forums and the list just seems to go on.. Im sure the ACP options are at least working at 80% and maybe even 100% but since all this is so new its really hard to determine if its a forum issue or and Admin issue.. Im about to pull my hair out at this point.

I really thought i had this new system figured out, But apparently im either not even close or my forum is already bugged.

Ok now it seems the forum wants to show my registered members as guests.. Any idea what would be causing this?? Its not happening to everyone but im getting sporadic reports of this happening pretty frequently.. Earlier today it was one of my Super Mods, who was positively listed as a SM earlier today then this evening for no reason he was listed as a guest but still retained his permissions as a SM.
Capture_12222010_215924.webp Capture_12222010_220150.webp
The member shown in my Screen Shot shows as a guest but still has the same permissions as a registered member..
-------------------------------
Another thing i was wondering... What are banned members supposed to show up as in the postbit??? mine show as New Members.. I would guess they should show up as Guests??

Ok now it seems the forum wants to show my registered members as guests.. Any idea what would be causing this?? Its not happening to everyone but im getting sporadic reports of this happening pretty frequently.. Earlier today it was one of my Super Mods, who was positively listed as a SM earlier today then this evening for no reason he was listed as a guest but still retained his permissions as a SM.
View attachment 8065 View attachment 8066
The member shown in my Screen Shot shows as a guest but still has the same permissions as a registered member..

Is that post linked to a user profile? Can you click the username and does it load the user's profile page? If not then the post is not associated with the user and the "Guest" label is appropriate. You should also check that post on the vB forum to see if it is associated there.

Another thing i was wondering... What are banned members supposed to show up as in the postbit??? mine show as New Members.. I would guess they should show up as Guests??

I just tested this. Being banned does not confer a special title. It uses the default ladder of titles (e.g. New Member). If you want to assign a banned user a special title then you need to specify that in their usergroup. You can create a new group for this purpose:

Admin CP -> Users -> List User Groups -> Create New User Group

Screen shot 2010-12-22 at 8.26.13 PM.webp

Or you can also edit their account and specify a custom title for that individual user:

Admin CP -> Users -> Search for Users -> [find their account]

Screen shot 2010-12-22 at 8.29.16 PM.webp

Indeed.
I've created 2 new groups; for banned and ex-members.

Mike & Kier have already said that it was intentional not to highlight banned members, meaning they retain their user title at the time they're banned.

Is that post linked to a user profile? Can you click the username and does it load the user's profile page? If not then the post is not associated with the user and the "Guest" label is appropriate. You should also check that post on the vB forum to see if it is associated there.
Yeah they are all established members with profiles i just double checked.. Heres the thing they are listed as guests on their profiles and postbits but they have the correct permissions for their usergroups (in this case a registered member) Im still using the default latter of user titles. so this member should be a "Well-Known Member" What i have to do to fix correct this is to move that member to another usergroup, save. Then move them back to the actual usergroup and save that member again. The problem is that the software for whatever reason is changing their user titles at will and causing me alot of grief and time manually moving them back..
Capture_12232010_091912.webp Capture_12232010_091551.webp
Mike & Kier have already said that it was intentional not to highlight banned members, meaning they retain their user title at the time they're banned.
I read that post by Kier explaining this and thats actually why i asked.. Its hard to understand what is actually being said in some cases when my forum does something different.. Like i mentioned above im still using the default latter of "Trophy User Titles" New Member-0, Member-5, Active Member-25 and Well Known Member-45..
In the screen shot you will see this Member who has been banned has well over 1000 posts and is still listed as a new user. Where he should be shown as a "Well-Known Member" And as best as i can tell all my banned members are shown as New Members. I suppose thats not really a big deal but its obvious something is not right here, and that is a big deal to me.. ;)
Capture_12232010_093430.webp

If the post is correctly linked to the user's profile page then the question becomes, where is the "Guest" title coming from? You should check the user's profile for a custom title, and the usergroups for a custom title.

The problem is that the software for whatever reason is changing their user titles at will and causing me alot of grief and time manually moving them back..

When does that happen? Is it only one time after the import?

When does that happen? Is it only one time after the import?
Sorry about the late reply holidays had me busier then normal.

It happens whenever the software decides to change something on its own. I get a half a dozen PM's a day from different members who could do something one day and cant the next.. Sometimes it just changes their user titles and others it changes their permissions altogether.. There is no rhyme or reason..

A cpl examples of my inbox today alone.
First one is a mod that had no troubles one day then the next he doesnt have permission to view anything..
hey fred its me dale.
I still cant log in with my name, it says I dont have permissions to view anything, Ive tried to reset my password but still dont get any emails sent to me, can you help me out.

This member is a regular member that all of a sudden for no reason cant reply to a thread. that she was active in just yesterday.
Hello Fred so I tried to post a reply to Sally and Logan and it said I didn't have permission to do that whats up with that???? Sandii
As far as i know the only thing i can do to fix these issues for these members is to manually grant them permissions on a user by user basis.. Sure wish Mike or Kier had some ideas of what going on here.. (i know beta)

For user titles and permissions to be randomly changing in this way there must be some sort of corruption in the database (and/or files).

I haven't seen anyone else posting about anything remotely similar so it must stem from the vB import process.
It's possible something went wrong during that process.

Permissions don't change on their own, unless you have installed an addon that is doing it.

It sounds like Dale is having trouble logging in. You may want to just reset his password for him by editing his account in your Admin CP.

Is Sandii trying to reply to a thread or a personal conversation? Note that personal conversations can be locked by their creators which prevents replying.

If you continue to have problems then I would like to take a look for myself if you are willing to trust me with your forum information. I would need a URL and admin login to your forum, and instructions to reproduce the problems.

Sandi is trying to reply to a thread she was involved in yesterday.. Another member Dobiegirl had the same problems replying to a secret santa thread and posting pictures.. Weird thing is she could reply to other threads in the same forum..
Von I'm ready to scream....I've tried now 6 times to post pic's in the SS thread...when I have everything typed and pic's loaded up I hit reply to thread which is the only thing to hit I get and error msg that I do not have permission to do it...???????????????????????????? Help please... You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
I have manually adjusted her permission on a per user basis and she seems to be all straightened out now, but i cant set each and every one of my members user permissions on an individual basis.. that would drive me to suicide. ;)

I have manually adjusted her permission on a per user basis and she seems to be all straightened out now, but i cant set each and every one of my members user permissions on an individual basis.. that would drive me to suicide. ;)
If it's working with user specific permissions then it must be something to do with your usergroup permissions.

lol here we go again.. but this time maybe a member has found something to this.. Still not sure what to make of it but its more information then i had before..
In a thread I already created I went to insert a youtube video and I got an error message about not having privilege to perform selected action?

Im testing here too

Ok it let me here but not in the other thread...I deleted it here...
[MERGETIME="1293572928"][/MERGETIME]
Its the pet rat thread btw in Off Topic....
OMG nm, it let me now...unless you fixed it already lol.
Nope didnt do anything.. I didnt do anything to fix Sandii's issue in another post either before it worked itself out.. Strange indeed! Im hoping i can solve this little annoyance, but progress is slow. ;)
Ok its back, and I noticed its anytime I reply to a thread that I was the last person to reply on after the edit timeframe has passed....I get "you do not have permission to view this page or perform this action" but once someone else posts after me, I can then post again.
Hopefully this little bit of new information can help point us in the right direction..

I checked Sandi's permissions a few days ago. There was nothing wrong.

At this point we need to try to reproduce the problem rather than rely on user reports. Ask your users for instructions to reproduce the problem.

alright the problem turned out to be something super simple.. but still not sure why it was so intermittent. but it had something to do with secondary usergroup permissions.. I'm still having a few problems with members who have a primary usergroup of registered and secondary groups as premium members (Bronze, Silver Gold, Etc..) but its nothing that removing and in some cases reversing the secondary usergroup hasn't been able to fix so far.. I'm not sure but even though ive figured out the fix something still doesn't seem 100% right here, just cant put my finger on it yet..

alright the problem turned out to be something super simple.. but still not sure why it was so intermittent. but it had something to do with secondary usergroup permissions.. I'm still having a few problems with members who have a primary usergroup of registered and secondary groups as premium members (Bronze, Silver Gold, Etc..) but its nothing that removing and in some cases reversing the secondary usergroup hasn't been able to fix so far.. I'm not sure but even though ive figured out the fix something still doesn't seem 100% right here, just cant put my finger on it yet..
Let me guess, did you convert from vb?

I had some strangeness on my import, though with enough care and massaging of the vb database and re-importing that went away.

Let me guess, did you convert from vb?

I had some strangeness on my import, though with enough care and massaging of the vb database and re-importing that went away.
Yeah it was a very unstable vB4 DB. Thats why i had to go ahead with the software import before XF went gold.. It was a tough decision but we were really concerned that we would wake up one day and have the entire site disappear permanently..

For the most part we are slowly sorting through the problems left from the import and getting closer to a forum that is running 100% Im sure in another month or so we will have all this sorted out.. The problems where strange ones for sure very intermittent coming and going, as im sure you noticed from this thread alone it was really all over the place.. Most those problems have been worked out and the future is beginning to look very bright for the first time sine my initial move to vB4..

Yeah it was a very unstable vB4 DB. Thats why i had to go ahead with the software import before XF went gold.. It was a tough decision but we were really concerned that we would wake up one day and have the entire site disappear permanently..

For the most part we are slowly sorting through the problems left from the import and getting closer to a forum that is running 100% Im sure in another month or so we will have all this sorted out.. The problems where strange ones for sure very intermittent coming and going, as im sure you noticed from this thread alone it was really all over the place.. Most those problems have been worked out and the future is beginning to look very bright for the first time sine my initial move to vB4..
Might want to agree with this suggestion. I suspect it will be an ongoing issue for several forums long term, hence why I suggested it.
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ups-for-a-nodes-permissions.9723/#post-133060

Top Bottom