XF 2.2 you don't have permission

DevBest

Hi Folks,

I have a little weird problem.
I have my forum in maintance mode.
When it is in maintance mode and i want to access the website on my mobile (i tried safari, google, firefox) it tell me FORBIDDEN - You don't have permissions to access this resource. if i put /index.php after it it appear! And when I login at that point with my admin account it is accessible without the /index.php 🤷‍♂️But When i put my forum out of the maintance (forum online) mode it is working normally. should there be something wrong with the .htaccess file?

Last edited:
Solution
I had an other domain name before on the same server no issue at all. Now I’m busy making a new community and I have this issue
Might be a cookie issue.
Try logging out, then remove all cookie's for your current and old domain name and forum and then try to login again and see if the issue persists.
Are you using the shipped .htaccess and make sure your root location is correct?
Of so, then there should not be any issues if you are on an Apache HTTP server.
If you are on nginx or OpenLightSpeed, then you can't rely on .htaccess.

Are you using the shipped .htaccess and make sure your root location is correct?
Well I don’t know what is wrong this time.
I had an other domain name before on the same server no issue at all. Now I’m busy making a new community and I have this issue

Might be a cookie issue.
Try logging out, then remove all cookie's for your current and old domain name and forum and then try to login again and see if the issue persists.

Solution

Open Litespeed works fine with the Xenforo .htaccess file and mod_rewrite rules in general. It doesn't support things like resource authentication via .htaccess like Apache does, but they've gone to great lengths to be compatible with rewritecond/rewriterule. :-)

Open Litespeed works fine with the Xenforo .htaccess file and mod_rewrite rules in general. It doesn't support things like resource authentication via .htaccess like Apache does, but they've gone to great lengths to be compatible with rewritecond/rewriterule
Was specifically referring to having the .htaccess in the directory and expecting to work as it does with Apache. nginx and OLS require a different approach. OLS may have changed that, but last time I used it you had to use the GUI to do your rewrites in... granted, they did use (mostly) Apache sytnax.

We have same error message - but only when trying to open specific posts or media items - very strange.
Yesterday we tried adding a media item with a description "if looks could kill" and it was immediately rejected with the message:

Forbidden​

You don't have permission to access this resource.

However, a second attempt to add the same media item without that description worked fine.
Could there be some AI screening and blocking taking place? Where?

We now have some posts blocked, and quite a few media items blocked that were previously available.
An old backup copy of our forum has the same issue for the same items, so it doesn't seem to be corruption.
However we cannot open the affected items to see what might be causing the problem!

All our users have the same experience with the same items - irrespective of their access rights - some are "registered" others are "admin or moderators". Same problem whatever browser or platform is used.
The problem was first noticed a few months ago when we were using the previous release, we are now on latest releases for XF2 and XFMG.

Our forum is hosted by Hostwinds, with a server in Holland.

Clues very welcome! 1984??? Brave New World???

Last edited:
That message comes from your web server so you would need to check the web server log to see what's causing it. More than likely just some overzealous firewall (kill is a command on many servers).

I got nowhere with that. Hostwinds tell me we cannot access or modify the ModSecure rules in their shared hosting environment.
It seems the only route forward is to move to a dedicated or VPS environment, and that is now our plan...
Haven't others suffered from this "false Error 403" problem?
We now have problems with photos which have any of the following words in their description:

Where?
When?
Kill
and
&

Hostwinds tell me we cannot access or modify the ModSecure rules in their shared hosting environment.
It seems the only route forward is to move to a dedicated or VPS environment, and that is now our plan...
It is a hosting issue and as you stated, the only way to apparently resolve it is to move. You do not have to go to a VPS or a dedicated unless you desire to though. There are plenty of hosting providers out there that know what they are doing and willing to work with you.
This is one that I can whole heartedly recommend as being a hosting provider that knows XenForo.

Thanks - we are now planning to move to VPS since we also want to implement enhanced search and that should sort this issue too.
Pheew, good to have a plan!
We are now in touch with Matt and he is advising us. Clearly a good guy:)

Regards,
Mike

Was specifically referring to having the .htaccess in the directory and expecting to work as it does with Apache. nginx and OLS require a different approach. OLS may have changed that, but last time I used it you had to use the GUI to do your rewrites in... granted, they did use (mostly) Apache sytnax.

OLS has supported .htaccess rewrite rules for as long as I remember. It doesn't support other .htaccess directives, which aren't used nearly as often as rewrites. Non-rewrite directives require using the GUI or editing config files directly. Paid Litespeed has .htaccess support beyond the rewrites.

OLS works fine with Xenforo's .htaccess file, I have my own and dozens of clients running with it.

Thanks - we are now planning to move to VPS since we also want to implement enhanced search and that should sort this issue too.
Pheew, good to have a plan!
We are now in touch with Matt and he is advising us. Clearly a good guy:)

Regards,
Mike

Have you edited .htaccess to block mod_security? Its documented at the top of this file, simply remove the leading # from those directives.

OLS has supported .htaccess rewrite rules for as long as I remember. It doesn't support other .htaccess directives, which aren't used nearly as often as rewrites. Non-rewrite directives require using the GUI or editing config files directly. Paid Litespeed has .htaccess support beyond the rewrites.
It's been several years since I used it... and when I started, you had to do your .htaccess stuff (other than simple re-writes) within the GUI. And if you were going to do one section of normal .htaccess in the GUI, it was simpler to do it all there since it would be in one place.
It was one of the differences between it and the Enterprise version of LS (and what they used to push for LS over OLS). I remember there was talk about eventually supporting it fully natively.

Yeah, they added native support but I don't recall when (years). They made a big push to roll out features, and fix long standing OLS bugs as they started ramping up their CyberPanel product. OLS has gone from a product I wouldn't use in production to my top choice, beating Nginx in my performance testing, especially when it's a smaller VPS.

Also, one minor difference is OLS doesn't apply changes to .htaccess immediately. It polls every minute or so for changes. I do a quick "systemctl restart lsws" if I need it to take effect immediately.

Top Bottom