XF 1.4 Permission issues on Secondary Group

ActorMike

When a member joins our forum they become a member of the Registered users group which does not have access to download attachments. When they upgrade their membership it adds them to a Secondary User Group called lifetime subscribers and that group has permissions to download attachments (Confirmed in settings)

I had a user that could not download attachments so I tested the permissions using the admin tool and confirmed the problem. I went in and changed the main user group to lifetime subscriber, and then the download attachments works.

Is this un unreported but or do I not understand how this is supposed to work?

You shouldn't change the primary usergroup - that should be Registered Users for all users.

Permissions are cumulative. If you revert the user to the registered users group and add the lifetime group as a secondary one, does the issue remain?

If it does, what does the permissions analyser say for that user?

Liam

View attachments to posts: is set to Not Set (No) on Registered users and for Lifetime Subscribers it is set to Allow.

None of the permissions for registered user are set to Never.

Hey @Brogan I just did an analysis and then tested the permissions as the user, and it says they can view attachments but the forum says: You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

View attachments to posts:
Yes (Details)
Forum Permissions - View attachments to posts
Global Permission Values
Gold Subscriber: Allow
Final Value (Global): Yes

The only thing I use is bdpaygate to process the Authorize.net payments.

P.S. I went in and changed the main user group to lifetime subscriber, and then the download attachments works.

Does it work if you manually upgrade a user, rather than via the paid account upgrade?

If so, that could indicate a problem related to the add-on.

XF is adding them to the secondary usergroup successfully (see attachment), the permissions would be handled by XF from there wouldn't they? This paid user's main group is Registered and secondary group Gold Subscriber is checked. So long as the user has the secondary group checked and that group as attachment permissions, they should have access to the file, regardless of how the box was check, whether that be manual or automated, correct?

Here is this users permissions for attachments and they cannot download the files here either.

Yes (Details)
Global Permission Values

Attachments

• usergroups.webp
    usergroups.webp
    26 KB · Views: 5
@Brogan for troubleshooting purposes I manually created a user as you suggested, and it still gives the same permissions error. Thanks for your feedback.

Yes (Details)
Global Permission Values

Something must be involved which is preventing the permission cache from being updated correctly.

Try manually upgrading a member with all add-ons disabled.

If you edit the post content, is the attachment code like this:
Code:
[ATTACH]1234[/ATTACH]

Or is it a URL to an attachment, like this:
Code:
[url]https://www.example.com/attachments/1234[/url]

If it's the latter, are you sure the attachment actually still exists? If so, are you sure it was attached in a forum the Subscriber user can see? It could also be problematic if the attachment was originally attached to a Conversation message rather than a post.

EDIT: I guess the easiest test, would be, if you upload a new attachment to a thread the subscriber user can view, is the attachment viewable/downloadable then?

If you edit the post content, is the attachment code like this:
Code:
[ATTACH]1234[/ATTACH]

Or is it a URL to an attachment, like this:
Code:
[url]https://www.example.com/attachments/1234[/url]

If it's the latter, are you sure the attachment actually still exists? If so, are you sure it was attached in a forum the Subscriber user can see? It could also be problematic if the attachment was originally attached to a Conversation message rather than a post.

Yes, the attachment exists, and if I change the user's main group to Lifetime Subscriber instead of registered they can download the attachment, also admins can as well. Here is the page http://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/thunderbird-manuals-electronic-version.2998/

@Chris D Here is some more information. I just allowed view attachments for registered users and they still can't download and get the error page. Here is the analysis for the user .

Yes (Details)
Global Permission Values

Quick question. If I'm correct, those are the Global permissions for viewing attachments to posts. If so, what are the node permissions for viewing attachments to posts?

Top Bottom