People replying with no actual reply

ActorMike

Are people really this dumb? I have two forums. On occasion, people will reply to a post and it has the quote of the post above, and they submit a reply, but it doesn't say anything. I just wanted reassurance that people are this dumb and there isn't a problem with the forum. lol

Mike

Are people really this dumb? I have two forums. On occasion, people will reply to a post and it has the quote of the post above, and they submit a reply, but it doesn't say anything. I just wanted reassurance that people are this dumb and there isn't a problem with the forum. lol

Mike

Sometimes folk type their posts inside the quote tags.

People do this occasionally and often it is because they are new to the format and just hit reply button but don't know they have to reply under the quote (which they may not even know is a quote)

Then see the post reply button and seeing that they click on it expecting somewhere to put their reply.

We often forget some people are new to this kind of format and new to actually using computers so even the tooltip may not actually register.

It isn't dumb, just that we think it is all so easy and intuitive but it isn't if you are absolutely new to it.

I've learnt this from working with elderly people.

I get this occasionally with even long-term users who don't post often (and likely are not that computer-savvy). We end up deleting the posts.

There's also the cases where a clumsy finger hits Post Reply too early. Not saying that's ever happened to me, though. :whistle:

Top Bottom