People replying to notification emails

Since upgrading to xF I have noticed an increasing number of customers replying to email notifications thinking that it is an acceptable way to post a reply to a thread or respond to a Conversation ("PM.")

I am not quite sure why this is happening to such an extent. Has anyone got any suggestions of how they have managed this, I've been replying to people each time advising them that it is not the way to do it, but I cannot keep doing this and it is also not good for the customer experience as some people are obviously genuinely confused.

Since upgrading to xF I have noticed an increasing number of customers replying to email notifications thinking that it is an acceptable way to post a reply to a thread or respond to a Conversation ("PM.")

I am not quite sure why this is happening to such an extent. Has anyone got any suggestions of how they have managed this, I've been replying to people each time advising them that it is not the way to do it, but I cannot keep doing this and it is also not good for the customer experience as some people are obviously genuinely confused.

Send from a noreply@ email address. Add some big text to the email:

MailScreenshot007.webp

Edit these phrases:

SafariScreenshot088.webp

I used to have this problem before migrating to XenForo. I now send forum notifications from a do_not_reply@[yourdomain].com address, and any messages sent to the do_not_reply address are automatically rejected with a 550 SMTP error and a message returned: "Please respond to this message on [yourdomain].com. Your email reply was not delivered."

Edit: If your forum's web hosting provider offers cPanel, you can configure this by going to Email -> Forwarders. Click "Add Forwarder", type in an address to forward (e.g. do_not_reply@ or noreply@). Then under "Destination" choose the Discard option and enter in your rejection message. :)

Last edited:
I have also had this and have also made it as a no reply email with no luck. What I did do is not quote the full message in the email and this did seem to help as they now need to logon to read the full story.

What I did do is not quote the full message in the email and this did seem to help as they now need to logon to read the full story.
This. I switched off full messages in emails for both threads and conversations. Not only are they less likely to reply to an email which only has the thread/conversation title in it, they are more likely to actually visit the site to see what was said (rather than not visit and read it in the email).

I do not include reply text in the emails. They have to click and go to the forum to see the reply.

Another benefit of doing this is that you don't have to worry about spam-triggering language appearing in the emails.

Top Bottom