My lesson learned: Don't give users full message/convo text in notification emails

Hi @kontrabass, you make some good points.

Will experiment with disabling the full message text for email notifications and see how that affects activity.

I remember on MyBB the email notifications had an excerpt. It seems on Xenforo you can choose either getting the full text or no text completely..

We disabled as part of the switch to SSL/TLS earlier this year. Our members appreciated our concerns over privacy and were fine with having to log in to read PCs and Posts. A few years ago, XF behaved the same way, emails were only notifications that you needed to come back to read something.

Thought it worth a go :)

This currently only works on default XF watched content templates.

In theory an add-on could extend the code further to include other templates, e.g. templates from other add-ons.

I like this, because we have access to the receiving user's node permissions at this point. This means the permission is actually content based rather than global. Meaning you could of course set this globally per user group or per user, but if you want even more control, you can prevent message text being sent out on a per node basis. Possible use for that, is, if there is a forum which is private, or deals with sensitive information, you could prevent the message text being sent out for that forum only while messages/threads in other forums could have the text sent out in the email.

I am releasing it here as I have not tested this fully and you would need to exercise caution while testing it yourself. Note it is an Alpha and did not take me very long to write at all so there could be bugs!

If it works ok, I'll look at conversation emails, too, and eventually release in the RM.

@Chris D , this works! Live on my site and no errors thus far. Looking forward to having this extended to conversation emails and a RM release :) Until then, this is a great add-on that my premium members and staff thank you for! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom