Too many people reply to posts typing in the quoted box

NealC

I see this far too often with XF 2.x and maybe there is a problem when quoting a reply and where the cursor is being placed? Maybe it's a mobile issue? I don't know. But it's happening enough that I want to raise this issue here. Here is an example reply which again I see this happen far too often.

I see this far too often with XF 2.x and maybe there is a problem when quoting a reply and where the cursor is being placed? Maybe it's a mobile issue? I don't know. But it's happening enough that I want to raise this issue here. Here is an example reply which again I see this happen far too often.

Yeah, I get that a lot too on my forum. Thought it’s just people not understanding how to use it.

Not seen that save the odd time someone backspaces into a quote box (certain apes have been known to pull that one off :rolleyes:). I do have one member who has no f-ing clue about how to quote, or how to properly identify quotes from outside sources, no matter many times we have tried to explain it to her. I suspect she is doing it partly deliberately to have deniability ("Oh, that wasn't me, it was just something I quoted").

You can use this addon:

I see this far too often with XF 2.x and maybe there is a problem when quoting a reply and where the cursor is being placed?
I'm not sure how that can happen, maybe a browser issuer? Because even if the cursor is inside a quote, as soon as you hit return it creates a second quote

You mean the post inside the quote? It happens on our forum as well. I believe its just the user doesn't understand how to use it. We have a user that won't even use the reply or quote feature, he'll copy and paste someone reply and then his reply will be in all caps. lol.

It's happening on my forum too. Sometimes with same user it's only on happening when on a particular device.

Hope someone can figure out what it is.

Experienced user...another example:

There are issues right now with using the samsung browser on samsung phones using Xenforo. This could be part of it. Has something to do with the Froala editor and there is a thread here on XF about it.

A lot of people understandably think that to reply they click on the reply link, hence a quote of whole post is made even if it isn’t needed or intended.

Of course we think they should automatically know that, and to do a simple reply without a quote they just type onto the text editor. But it isn’t exactly intuitive, so I have changed that phrase to Reply & quote which seems a bit more descriptive.

I’d prefer a separate reply button that just opened text editor with no quote.

Of course that doesn’t explain how the cursor gets into the actual quote box.

Last edited:
My suggestion from 2016 got only 7 up votes but is still there:

My suggestion from 2016 got only 7 up votes but is still there:
This issue is not the same thing. It's not about broken tags but moreso an issue with people primarily using samsung browser(or have a Web app installed initially from the Samsung browser).

Top Bottom