XF 1.5 Peer Certificate

Pixel Squad Ltd

Hello,

I recently migrated from shared hosting to my own VPS and I am having issues with getting G Suite to work with Xenforo again. It worked fine previously and I haven't changed any settings. Google Support said I should confirm the "Peer Certificate", but I am unsure how.

Has anyone has any issues with their Peer Certificate previously? If so, how did you fix it.

Here is the error and stack trace:
Code:
Error Info
ErrorException: Email to Carl@crimecoastforums.com failed: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): Peer certificate CN=`vps439301.ovh.net' did not match expected CN=`smtp.gmail.com' - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php:206
Generated By: CarlM24, 34 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(2, 'stream_socket_e...', '/home/crimecoa/...', 206, Array)
#1 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(206): stream_socket_enable_crypto(Resource id #141, true, 9)
#2 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(217): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->helo('localhost')
#3 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#4 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#5 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/UserEmail.php(168): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#6 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/UserEmail.php(62): XenForo_Deferred_UserEmail->_sendEmail(Array, Array, Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#7 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/User.php(1197): XenForo_Deferred_UserEmail->execute(Array, Array, 10, NULL)
#8 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(351): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend()
#9 /home/crimecoa/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#10 /home/crimecoa/public_html/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#11 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(59) "https://www.crimecoastforums.com/admin.php?users/email-send"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["users/email-send"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(10) {
    ["test"] => string(15) "Send Test Email"
    ["criteria"] => string(111) "{"receive_admin_email":"1","username":"Carlm24","user_state":["valid"],"is_banned":["0"],"no_empty_email":true}"
    ["total"] => string(1) "1"
    ["from_name"] => string(18) "Crime Coast Forums"
    ["from_email"] => string(27) "mailer@crimecoastforums.com"
    ["email_title"] => string(3) "hey"
    ["email_format"] => string(4) "text"
    ["email_body"] => string(3) "hey"
    ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
  }
}

I appreciate all assistance.

Regards,
Carl

Looks like your outgoing SMTP connection is being man in the middle'd. This is almost certainly down to your server control panel software, so you can like disable it there. For WHM, it sounds like turning off "Restrict outgoing SMTP to root, exim, and mailman (FKA SMTP Tweak)" may do it.

I have this working now. Just in case anyone else has this issue here is the problem and the solution.

So, when I moved from a shared environment to a VPS, I just changed my A record at GoDaddy to point at my new server's IP address so I didn't have to worry about the DNS, as many guides said to do. The problem with this is Google was expecting the emails to come from GoDaddy's network and IP address, but it was being sent from my VPS's IP and network, so they automatically rejected the email. Google seen it as another user was trying to pretend to be me and send spam as if it was coming from my domain.

The only way I could fix this was to set up and manage my own DNS, and change the nameservers to the ones setup on my VPS

That is how I understand it anyway. It make be a lot deeper than that, and it may be possible to solve in a different way.

If anyone is having any issues or questions regarding moving from a shared environment to a VPS, feel free to message me. I am no expert, but I can perhaps help with something you are unsure or stuck with.

Top Bottom