1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 PayPal IPN Warnings after Migrating from vB

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by caliman, Jun 19, 2014.

1. caliman

caliman Active Member

PayPal is sending my IPN warnings after I have migrated from vB.

So doing some searching here, I see that xF has a gateway file and on my board that is located here:

What is unclear is how I resolve this.

On the PayPal side:
    I cannot find the old URL on my PayPal admin cp.
    (I did find the IPN Notification URL settings page in PayPal - but that file (verify_ipn.php) is only about receiving notification messages. I did copy that file to my xF root.)

On the xF side:
    Should I make a 301 redirect to the new file?

Since migrating I have been planning to deal with my PayPal subscriptions, but this just bumped up the matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. caliman

caliman Active Member

Saw this on the PayPal community help board, untested:

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Recurring user upgrades cannot be imported, mostly due to the IPN side of things. Redirecting the request is not sufficient because XenForo uses a different structure for some fields.

As it stands, the only option is to cancel the recurring subscriptions on PayPal and have people resubscribe via XF.
  4. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Hi Mike. I think we all understand that and are fine with it. I think we all just want to keep those paymants coming in until we can get our members to cancel and upgrade on Xenforo, nothing more.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  5. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Sorry, Quoted wrong person.
  6. caliman

caliman Active Member

Hi Mike - I guess I will go that route. A small pain for me with less than two dozens subscribers, but for those with a 100 or more, this is a brutal pain to migration.
    Alfa1 likes this.
  7. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

I have over 250 losing them is not an option for me. That money pays server fees.

Those are the recurring ones, I'm not worried about the other subs just those.
  8. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Just tell them that their subscriptions are valid till the first of next month (give some of them some grace time) and then after that they will have to resubscribe through the new system as all subscriptions from the vB days will be cancelled and they have to resubscribe. Cancel the recurring payments from PayPal and have them resubscribe again under XenForo.
    You may lose a little money (depends on how much time you allow between the last valid renewal date and forcing new subscriptions.
  9. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

No problem there. The problem lies in the paypal IPN errors. Just to stop those would do the trick.
  10. Mike

The only way to stop an IPN is to stop the subscription. PayPal provides basically no control over this (presumably for security reasons).
  11. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Mike let me ask you this. what if I i left:

in the root? Would that keep paypal happy?
  12. Mike

If your goal is just to stop the errors, make an empty payment_gateway.php file and put it in the correct location and that should be fine (just needs to return a 200 OK message which it will do by default). But that won't actually do anything. It will effectively throw away the IPN message.
  13. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Thank you Mike. That is all i needed. that buys me time to get my members to cancel and re-subscribe.

Stopping the errors during that process is important i think because i have read of cases where PayPal will lock your account if you get too many.
  14. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

By the way loving Xenforo. Everything that used to take me ages to figure out on VB is now taking me minutes in Xenforo.

Everything from CDN to plug-ins are so much easier.
    Thanks for all the hard work.