PayPal Account Hacked ?!

yavuz

This happened to me once where someone made a payment via my paypal account. I was completely baffled. I always use a unique PayPal password and use secure combinations. They didn't chance my account info or password for that matter. Somehow they get a hold of my password. Eventually, I got my money refunded but this time one person that withdraw money from my account contacted my saying interesting things:

"Hi, I found your paypal account on the internet and got logged in. I accidently made a payment using your information. Just want to give you a heads up and warn you. I have requested the money to be send back to you. Sorry"

I can imagine this happens all the time. But really?! There is always something that suprizes you.

"I found your paypal account on the internet?!?" What the hell? that would be some scary stuff, eh? As to that person "accidentally" making a payment using your info...I call BS on that. But at least they reached out to you, so an attack on conscience?

"I found your paypal account on the internet?!?" What the hell? that would be some scary stuff, eh? As to that person "accidentally" making a payment using your info...I call BS on that. But at least they reached out to you, so an attack on conscience?

Yeah that hit me too, searched with my paypal email if it returned any results but haven't find any. The person wrote in Turkish, was very fluent so I assume from Turkey. I reported him to paypal anyway. I think paypal should have a two step authenticator like google. One big payment still is in investigation. They aren't particularily fast when it comes to these conflicts.

I found small purchases made on my ebay account using paypal. They were only small but it was still disturbing.
I changed both passwords to make them much stronger and it hasn't happened again.

Yeah that hit me too, searched with my paypal email if it returned any results but haven't find any. The person wrote in Turkish, was very fluent so I assume from Turkey. I reported him to paypal anyway. I think paypal should have a two step authenticator like google. One big payment still is in investigation. They aren't particularily fast when it comes to these conflicts.

Paypal does have two step authenticator which I am using it right now. Once you logged in, you will see the second screen asking you to manually click on the button to request code. Either that, if you cannot receive your code due to certain reasons, you can always verify yourself using alternative way such as security questions or type your bank account or credit card number in full. But i am not sure if this two stwp authentication applies to all the countries. Hope it helps :)

Add: But of course, you need to activate the two-step authentication from within your PayPal account's settings.

I haven't any either but they "direct debit" the payment. How would they aquire the pass, I'm not sure.
Paypal has had a few hacks in the last year or two. Someone also managed to get into my account and tried to transfer my money to their bank account.

Luckily I checked that morning as a client had paid me and started using the two factor authentication now (Which they don't really advertise at all).

could be, i dont know i guess. i definitely dont store anything locally in terms of passwords but its always a possibility. i havent encountered anything that would indicate a computer hacking took place.
Take care in the future.
Firewall is a necessity.(Don't trust your router's firewall)
TWO good antivirus programs to check your downloads.
One of them to run permanently.

Take care in the future.

I have both web and computer antivirus programs running, no problems there. I also use noscript and adblock plus with my browser that blocks harmfull scripts from the web.

Take care in the future.
You only need one anti-virus and to scan with Malwarebytes if you think it's needed. Using more than one anti-virus at once is a resource disaster and can cause actually impact scans negatively.

You also shouldn't really need more than Windows Firewall if you're on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I have both web and computer antivirus programs running, no problems there. I also use noscript and adblock plus with my browser that blocks harmfull scripts from the web.
Can anyone else access your computer?
Kids are smart, they know how to turn them off to have access to certain sites.

You only need one anti-virus and to scan with Malwarebytes if you think it's needed. Using more than one anti-virus at once is a resource disaster and can cause actually impact scans negatively.

You also shouldn't really need more than Windows Firewall if you're on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Yeah, I tried that once. I'm running Vista with automatic updates enabled. I really don't think my computer is compromised.

Can anyone else access your computer?
Kids are smart, they know how to turn them off to have access to certain sites.

I'm the only one with access. Even if it were, how can they know my password as I barely know due to the complexity of it (not like I write it down or anything).

Still this is a suprize to me. Will wait what the paypal guys have to say.

Be it Windows Firewall or something else.
One of them can be Malwarebytes to scan, which I think is an Anti-Virus program.
The other can be Microsoft Security Essentials to run permanently.
No resource disaster.

I'm the only one with access. Even if it were, how can they know my password as I barely know due to the complexity of it (not like I write it down or anything).

One of the possibilities:
You bought something and clicked on paying with Paypal.
It took you to a site which was not paypal's.
You did not check in the address bar that what site was it.

One of the possibilities:
You bought something and clicked on paying with Paypal.
It took you to a site which was not paypal's.
You did not check in the address bar that what site was it.

I never click on a link in e-mails when it isn't directly adressed to me (have my real name in it). Also, the next thing I check is the domain name in the bar when I click on something.

Yeah, I tried that once. I'm running Vista with automatic updates enabled. I really don't think my computer is compromised.

As I said it's likely due to the leaks before. Unless you download everything and anything without thinking it's actually quite hard to get compromised.

Be it Windows Firewall or something else.

One of them can be Malwarebytes to scan, which I think is an Anti-Virus program.
The other can be Microsoft Security Essentials to run permanently.

No resource disaster.
Honestly you only need one anti-virus. Malwarebytes is that occasional scan every so often when you think you're infected by a rootkit but aren't quite sure but you want to check anyways. If you have a Pro license then you just use it instead of other anti-viruses.

It is suggested to not have more than one anti-virus running, and scanning with multiple anti-viruses has no benefit. If you have to scan something twice in the off chance that it is infected, you shouldn't be downloading it. Running more than one anti-virus does have a performance impact on the system, especially if both are active at once. Anti-viruses in and of themselves are resource intensive programs and when running two there are conflicts in scanning as well as conflicts that can lead to system freezes or program failures. In most cases AV vendors don't design the program to work with other AV's simultaneously.

Forsaken, your theory is good, I'm not arguing with it.
I did not say to run two AVs simultaneously.
I've said: "One of them to run permanently."

"TWO good antivirus programs to check your downloads."

Top Bottom