Duplicate Password protected forums?

DarkGizmo

I think this is a pretty standard feature within most forum scripts however, Xenforo still lacks this out of the box. Any plans on implementing it for 2.0? :)

PS: Sorry if this was already asked/discussed!

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why would you need password protected forums when you can just grant permissions to particular forums to a specific group? It solves the problem of members then forgetting the password and needing a reminder.

Password protected forums are inherently less secure than using permissions, as well as being potentially annoying for users.

Maybe that's why they haven't implemented them on Xenforo.

So out of interest, what particular situation do you have that requires password protected forums rather than using permissions?

May be a dupe, but more up to date since that add-on doesn't work, etc.....

I just had a need for something like this today. Here's the scenario. Some potential clients are interested in how a certain program we have works. I used to put a whole bunch of pages together in Dreamweaver and post it in a URL, but now I want to simply put it in a thread in XF.

The potential clients may not be registered nor want to. It's not super-secret info, so the idea would be just to create the thread and have it behind a password.

As it stands, maybe I'll just create a single "client user" account and group to protect that particular form - so I guess it will work out anyway....although more complicated, because if the client does have an account on my forum they have to log out first...and then log in and then go to the URL.

It would be less steps to just give them a URL with one pw to it.

As it stands, maybe I'll just create a single "client user" account and group to protect that particular form - so I guess it will work out anyway....although more complicated, because if the client does have an account on my forum they have to log out first...and then log in and then go to the URL.

It would be less steps to just give them a URL with one pw to it.
The solution seems simple. Firstly ask if they have an account on your forum. If they don't, give them access to the client user account that you set up. If they have an account already, just add them to a usergroup that can access the forum. :)

Top Bottom