Add-on [Paid] Upgrade of two Bob's add-ons

Have you asked @Bob to see if he'll be updating them? I think he mentioned he's a bit busy but he does have plans to update them.

It would be a complete rewrite. Those are two very complex and feature rich add-ons. I would imagine it would take a new developer weeks (months I would say ) to rewrite. On top of that cost thousands of dollars. Bob did mention hes rewriting them but you're correct he cannot give us a date. Restasure that when Bob does finish it will be exactlly that finished.

Reactions: Xon
Article Management System and User Blog System are huge addons. As XF2 is a new framework both indeed need to be rewritten from scratch. That will take many months to do because AMS and UBS are so large. Bob is working on it, but it requires patience. Rome was not built in one day.

I highly doubt that anyone can do it faster than Bob because he knows the functionality very well. A new developer would need to learn it all and be able to produce the same features and quality. Very little chance of that happening.
You are basically asking a developer to rewrite AMS & UBS for you. If you find a cheap but good developer then each will cost you 5 figures and each addon will take many months if all goes well.

Why are you in a rush to upgrade to XF2? Good things take time. XenForo 2 took years to write. If you consider what massive work is involved with AMS & UBS then your request doesn't seem realistic to me.

Last edited:
Have you asked @Bob to see if he'll be updating them? If he does not intend to update, please create a convesation with me

You need the impossible. If you need to upgrade now then you will need to do so without UBS and AMS. If you need UBS and AMS then you will need to wait for a very long time. If you have a very large sum of money to burn then you can try have another developer do it for you. But you will still wait a very long time.

Remember it took Bob years to develop AMS & UBS. This is why you cant expect an ETA for a rewrite that needs to start from scratch. I understand that you need it, but its not realistic.

Also: UBS and AMS cannot be copied without permission by Bob, as he owns the full rights to his addons. So developers would need to get that permission first.

Last edited:
You need the impossible. If you need to upgrade now then you will need to do so without UBS and AMS. If you need UBS and AMS then you will need to wait for a very long time. If you have a very large sum of money to burn then you can try have another developer do it for you. But you will still wait a very long time.

Remember it took Bob years to develop AMS & UBS. This is why you cant expect an ETA for a rewrite that needs to start from scratch. I understand that you need it, but its not realistic.

Also: UBS and AMS cannot be copied without permission by Bob, as he owns the full rights to his addons. So developers would need to get that permission first.

I disagree with you on the last point. Building yourself a chair doesn't mean you owe the idea to someone who made a chair.

And I could develop any one of the addons in a month(working full-time only on one project) but I do not have time for the same. Not trying to diminish the effort of Bob but building a second version of the same thing wouldn't require the same amount of planning and customer research like the first version.

PS: Just wanted to clear that I have no intentions of taking up development of these addons.

Anyone has the rights to build their own bespoke Article System Or Blogging System. I was specifically referring to porting the copyrighted AMS / UBS to XF2. Both addons are very unique, have many hundreds of settings and even more features. Bob implemented 500+ feature requests in AMS alone.

This is out of reality. Everything depends on how many hours a coder works. It can take months to be finish when working 1-2 hours day by day, but working 8 hours every days it needs less than a month. I'm working 10-11 hours per day but I found coders working 14 (!!) hours per day. What makes the difference is the knowledge level of xF2 coding. Using again myself as example, sure it will takes 2-3 moths as I need almost 2 months to learn xF2 coding style. But another coder familiar with xF2 coding does not needs this extra time.

Micheal (don't remember his username here), port my (complicated) microCART to xF1 in less than a month. And it was a really complicated mod.

Unfortunately NOT. And I'm saying "Unfortunately" because I wished to be correct. But is not. This is valid ONLY for public releases. If it' for own use, there is no copyright protection. I've bad experience from this when I found one of my vB4 mods to be used in a vB5 forum. I asked many Lawyers across the world. All said the same. As long as it just for own use is legal. It's the same if for example get any script and pay someone other than the author to modify it to meet your special requirements.

Edited to add example:

As that "for own use" is easily misunderstandable, I'll use an example. For sure you'll remember your thread at vB.org "Lets combine funds for a Reviews CMS with business/product directory". This is not allowed as more than one people will use it. "Own use" means strictly to be paid by a single person or company for use in a single or multiple domains owned by the same person/company. And unfortunately in my case this was true.

Last edited:
How is it “own use” if it is on a public website?

Own use = Own website

Be sure that have been burned from such a case when I seen my dating addon for vB4 in a vB5 website. But I was unable to do anything. "I did it on my own". Nothing illegal. If you know coding you can get any script, modify it as you want and put it in your site. IS legal. Actually even the global copyright agreements are saying that you can do it, just you're loosing technical support as your changes maybe cause other bugs.

Some more Legal terms that I learned when I was dealing with that case:
1.- When someone buys a script it counts as investment. So he has the right to protect his investment in case that the author is unable to follow the upgrades (vB4 to vB5 in my case), or if he has not plans to do it, or if he can't set a reasonable ETA for releasing this upgrade.
2.- Client has the right to improve his "investment" on his own expenses as long as he does not share them for free or for profit. This is very common in templates. Everybody modifies them. But copyright terms are the same.

He owns the code and the names. He doesn't own the idea for the features. It'd be good courtesy, but it is certainly not a requirement.

You're right that it would cost thousands and take a decent amount of time. But, it's worth noting that, pursuant to OP's requirements, features could be dropped from AMS/UBS that the OP isn't interested in using, which decreases price and time expectancy. If the OP is fine with contracting someone to work entire days, this could be done within a decent timeframe.

OP's requirement is not unreasonable. It'd be far more economic to just wait for Bob to finish the upgrades, though, unless they're in a rush to upgrade to XF2 for whatever reason.

@Alfa1 that he's working on it, this doesn't help me. In order to decide if upgrade to xf2, i need an ETA.

I've yet to meet a developer who can develop massive programs with tight deadlines and with perfection (if you meet him please introduce me so I can learn his secrets). You can see this even with XF2, which is still ironing out bugs.

There isn't a path to what you want. Even if you threw $100,000 at it, there are limits to the speed a new developer can build pictures in his head of how a piece of software works (or in this case two that he has to mesh together). This effect is compounded when you try to construct a team to speed it up (3 devs & a manager aren't 4 times as fast as 1 dev, they're more like twice as fast)

Then it'll most likely come out bug ridden anyway because of the time pressure. Tight ETA & bugs go hand in hand.

Your best bet if this absolutely has to get done rapidly (and you can't make do with Xf1 for now), is to offer a fat enough carrot to Bob. Alternatively, wait.

Top Bottom