Add-on [PAID] Streaming Radio Add On

Rho Delta

I am willing to pay a pretty significant amount of money for an add on that would have a widget for a streaming radio station that would work across all pages on a XF site. Ideally it would be able to play off of mp3s you have stored on your own computer somewhere similar to what winamp shoutcast used to do. Alternatively an iheartradio/grooveshark or similar music website add on could work as well.

Just so I'm certain I can't help: you're looking for something that will actually play music on the page and not get interrupted on page clicks, right? If not (i.e. you want something with music playing that integrates with the site, but doesn't necessarily have to be in the same window or whatever), I'd just recommend setting up a SHOUTcast server and integrating code snippets on the site like I do with mine. If that's what you want, I can post more about what I use...if not, then I'll bow back out of the thread since I will be very unlikely to help, hehe. :P

Just so I'm certain I can't help: you're looking for something that will actually play music on the page and not get interrupted on page clicks, right? If not (i.e. you want something with music playing that integrates with the site, but doesn't necessarily have to be in the same window or whatever), I'd just recommend setting up a SHOUTcast server and integrating code snippets on the site like I do with mine. If that's what you want, I can post more about what I use...if not, then I'll bow back out of the thread since I will be very unlikely to help, hehe. :p

YES!!! I haven't seen your site before but that looks exactly like what I want... would I be able to create a playlist on my computer and just broadcast music all day or is it a prerecorded podcast? I would love to learn more about your custom plugin.

Ah, cool! Right now, here's what I do:
  • The station is set up with SHOUTcast, which you mentioned knowing about so I'll spare the details there. I broadcast 24/7, but in order to do so, I have software called Centova Cast, which allows for auto-shuffling music based on general rotation playlists. For example, the station is set up with heavy/new/medium/light rotation playlists--the heavy songs are played more often than those in light rotation. (I suppose you could also just use Winamp, which would be free, and then leave your computer on 24/7, but that's probably not ideal. Also note that Centova Cast isn't the only option for such a software--you might compare it to additional options such as Wavestreaming's new Cloud DJ and SAM Broadcaster.)
  • Centova Cast also includes code snippets that allow for easy integration of codes such as the "now playing" line you see on my footer; I think there are some other software options that do that too.
  • I (with the help of EQnoble) also have the stream available in Flowplayer (see here), which you could use to open your stream in a separate window so visitors can listen while they're on the site. There's also an auto-playing Flash player here.
  • Most radio automation software also has the ability to accept requests; if that's something you're looking for, you'll probably want to take a look at that as well. (You can also do what I do...take most requests via Twitter and do it myself, since our software doesn't play requests automatically.)
Let me know if you have additional questions :)

The requests feature is awesome... Can you set up other users as "guest djs" for say a night where they can play whatever they like? Thanks for the info, I am sure I will have lots of questions for you in implementing this.

The requests feature is awesome... Can you set up other users as "guest djs" for say a night where they can play whatever they like? Thanks for the info, I am sure I will have lots of questions for you in implementing this.
Not sure about a "guest DJ" option per se, but you could just give them the login info for your panel... I'm not sure that you can add multiple users per station, though, unfortunately.

So on Centova Cast do you upload your music to their servers and stream it off that?
Yep! You can also connect via Winamp or something if you're doing a live show; just "Disconnect source" and then play music from Winamp once it's connected to the streaming server.

I have not, but that's very interesting...! Going to have a look at that here shortly. :)

So what are the legalities facing streaming copyrighted music that I have paid for with itunes over my forum? What about tape friendly bands as seen on www.archive.org ?
You have to pay for royalty costs, which can be reported by your software (i.e. Live365), covered by a broadcasting license (my co-admin bought a basic broadcasting one for us that covers x number of listeners and y number of minutes per month), or done through royalty reporting companies. You can also stick to just music that you have the owner's permission to play; for example, I recently set up a dropbox on SoundCloud for independent artists to upload music, specifying that if they do so, they give us permission to broadcast it on the station. Not sure about archive.org content.

Top Bottom